May 1, 2013, 5:39 PM EST
Blue Jackets forward Marian Gaborik will require surgery for an abdominal injury and will be unable to represent Slovakia at the upcoming IIHF World Championships.
Gaborik’s recovery period is expected to be three to four weeks.
“Marian experienced some soreness towards the end of the season and after undergoing his exit physical and further examination today, it was decided that surgery is the best option for a quick and full recovery,” said Blue Jackets president of hockey operations John Davidson in a release. “Marian will have the surgery and after a three to four week recovery period will be able to resume off-season training.”
The World Championships run from May 3-19 in Sweden and Finland.
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 3
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 7
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 71
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 66
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 33
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)