May 1, 2013, 5:39 PM EDT
Blue Jackets forward Marian Gaborik will require surgery for an abdominal injury and will be unable to represent Slovakia at the upcoming IIHF World Championships.
Gaborik’s recovery period is expected to be three to four weeks.
“Marian experienced some soreness towards the end of the season and after undergoing his exit physical and further examination today, it was decided that surgery is the best option for a quick and full recovery,” said Blue Jackets president of hockey operations John Davidson in a release. “Marian will have the surgery and after a three to four week recovery period will be able to resume off-season training.”
The World Championships run from May 3-19 in Sweden and Finland.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54