May 1, 2013, 2:41 PM EDT
Hey, so remember like two days ago when Red Wings coach Mike Babcock was thrilled with the way his team was moving the puck?
Yeah, he wasn’t so thrilled last night in Anaheim.
“My biggest concern is we looked exactly like we did in the first 20-25 games of the season, where we couldn’t move the puck on the back, we weren’t efficient, we weren’t a five-man unit,” Babcock said after a 3-1 loss to the Ducks, per MLive.com.
“We didn’t look organized in that way and we weren’t relentless in the offensive zone because we didn’t come with speed.”
The Ducks controlled the puck for much of last night’s game — which is notable for them, since their inability to do that during the regular season (fancy stats) was a big reason they had doubters heading into the playoffs.
Anaheim ended up out-shooting Detroit, 27-22, in Game 1.
“I thought they controlled more of the play,” said Babcock, “they had more cycles.”
Game 2 goes Thursday night at the Honda Center.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 3
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 24
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 20
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 14
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)