May 1, 2013, 10:11 PM EST
More than a few people thought that the high-scoring, red-hot New York Islanders might just pose a threat to the Pittsburgh Penguins in their first-round matchups. That gut instinct didn’t look too great after Game 1, which the Penguins won 5-0.
Let’s talk this one up.
- Marty Reasoner delivered a questionable leg-to-leg hit on Jussi Jokinen (which we’ll feature in video soon enough). Is that suspension-material?
- Can Evgeni Nabokov bounce back from a notably rough night?
- Should the Penguins be that much more diligent with Sidney Crosby or merely let him return as soon as the doctors will allow it?
- Is this a matter of “first game jitters” or an off night or are the Isles in big trouble?
- Getting more specific, can John Tavares boost the Islanders enough to make this series competitive or will Pittsburgh continue to neutralize the Hart Trophy candidate?
- Could this win just be evidence that the Penguins are the juggernaut that they looked like despite injuries and lineup changes throughout this season?
- Marc-Andre Fleury gained his sixth career playoff shutout. Do you expect him to have a strong postseason after struggling mightily at times the last few postseasons?
- Which East team poses the biggest threat to Pittsburgh? Could it be the Boston Bruins or someone else?
Dec 29, 2014, 12:40 AM EST
GM and interim bench boss Lou Lamoriello’s making it up as he goes along.
Dec 29, 2014, 12:09 AM EST
“I don’t even know anymore.”
Dec 28, 2014, 11:12 PM EST
Literally, in the case of Cam Fowler’s game-winning goal.
Dec 28, 2014, 10:03 PM EST
Winnipeg recalled Patrice Cormier in case the power forward can’t play.
Dec 28, 2014, 8:57 PM EST
Head coach Claude Julien has some choice words for his team.
Dec 28, 2014, 8:09 PM EST
Florida’s breathing down Toronto’s neck in the East standings.
Dec 28, 2014, 7:05 PM EST
There are some concussion concerns.
Dec 28, 2014, 6:25 PM EST
Reto Berra might not see much action going forward.
Dec 28, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
Has been out of St. Louis’ lineup since Nov. 25.
Dec 28, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Playing for the first time since Nov. 4
Dec 28, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Has missed three games with an upper body injury.
Dec 28, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
The forward will miss a few weeks with a lower body injury.
Dec 28, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
Recalled goaltender Christopher Gibson from AHL.
Dec 28, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
Kevin Poulin returned to Bridgeport.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:15 PM EST
Has missed the first 35 games of the season.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Boston’s Matt Fraser also on the waiver wire.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Anton Forsberg reassigned to Springfield.
Dec 28, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
Rasmus Ristolainen is sick.
Dec 28, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
The Dallas forward has been suspended three times in two seasons.
Dec 28, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
Expected to serve as an extra defenseman as the Canucks visit the Ducks.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2