May 1, 2013, 10:11 PM EDT
More than a few people thought that the high-scoring, red-hot New York Islanders might just pose a threat to the Pittsburgh Penguins in their first-round matchups. That gut instinct didn’t look too great after Game 1, which the Penguins won 5-0.
Let’s talk this one up.
- Marty Reasoner delivered a questionable leg-to-leg hit on Jussi Jokinen (which we’ll feature in video soon enough). Is that suspension-material?
- Can Evgeni Nabokov bounce back from a notably rough night?
- Should the Penguins be that much more diligent with Sidney Crosby or merely let him return as soon as the doctors will allow it?
- Is this a matter of “first game jitters” or an off night or are the Isles in big trouble?
- Getting more specific, can John Tavares boost the Islanders enough to make this series competitive or will Pittsburgh continue to neutralize the Hart Trophy candidate?
- Could this win just be evidence that the Penguins are the juggernaut that they looked like despite injuries and lineup changes throughout this season?
- Marc-Andre Fleury gained his sixth career playoff shutout. Do you expect him to have a strong postseason after struggling mightily at times the last few postseasons?
- Which East team poses the biggest threat to Pittsburgh? Could it be the Boston Bruins or someone else?
Mar 30, 2015, 9:57 AM EDT
Tampa Bay is chasing Montreal in the race for the Atlantic Division title.
Mar 30, 2015, 9:16 AM EDT
John Gibson stood tall versus New Jersey on Sunday.
Mar 30, 2015, 8:33 AM EDT
Both have plenty they still want to accomplish in their final regular season games.
Mar 30, 2015, 7:45 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Mar 30, 2015, 12:01 AM EDT
Perron and Crosby scored in the shootout for the win.
Mar 29, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
Chicago moves into third in the Central Division.
Mar 29, 2015, 10:10 PM EDT
He left the broadcast for stitches, but did return.
Mar 29, 2015, 10:02 PM EDT
New York snapped a seven-game home losing streak.
Mar 29, 2015, 9:16 PM EDT
Pastrnak scored the OT winner.
Mar 29, 2015, 8:20 PM EDT
Ottawa has lost three straight.
Mar 29, 2015, 7:55 PM EDT
Michael Ferland’s first NHL goal was the winner.
Mar 29, 2015, 6:51 PM EDT
Puck drop is at 7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
Mar 29, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Jimmy Howard is on in relief.
Mar 29, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
Washington scored four unanswered to beat New York 5-2.
Mar 29, 2015, 4:54 PM EDT
Buffalo has the best odds of drafting him.
Mar 29, 2015, 4:17 PM EDT
Will he get one next season?
Mar 29, 2015, 3:28 PM EDT
They’ll play at 7:30 p.m. ET tonight.
Mar 29, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 29, 2015, 1:38 PM EDT
The Penguins defenseman suffered a concussion.
Mar 29, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
Rau recorded at least 40 points in each of his NCAA campaigns.
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 4
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 11
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 12
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4