May 1, 2013, 1:10 AM EST
The first night of the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs produced three straight low-scoring hockey games, and it looked like we were headed for three straight scores of 2-1.
The Anaheim Ducks opened up a 1-0 series lead over the Detroit Red Wings in their Western Conference quarter-final, but changed the trend with a 3-1 final score on home ice.
Here are some talking points.
- He just keeps on going, despite age. Yes, at the not-so-youthful age of 42, Teemu Selanne broke apart a 1-1 tie and scored the winning goal less than two minutes into the third period on the power play. By the way, he turns 43 on July 3.
- The Ducks held Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg off the score sheet. The two superstars combined for just four shots on goal and were a combined minus-two.
- Danny DeKeyser was, just over a month ago, a once-highly sought after college free agent who played at Western Michigan University. He is now in the Stanley Cup playoffs as a rookie defenseman with the Detroit Red Wings. He had 19:31 in ice time in his playoff debut.
- Another interesting stat: The home team is, so far in these playoffs, 3-0.
Dec 19, 2014, 3:37 PM EST
“Where’s the Tylenol?”
Dec 19, 2014, 3:21 PM EST
Off to the Marlies he goes.
Dec 19, 2014, 3:03 PM EST
Jeff Schultz has been called up from AHL Manchester.
Dec 19, 2014, 2:54 PM EST
“This is a great honor and opportunity for Mirco to represent his country,”
Dec 19, 2014, 2:31 PM EST
That said, might he make sense for the Bruins?
Dec 19, 2014, 2:12 PM EST
Henrik Lundqvist’s No. 2 returns for another year.
Dec 19, 2014, 1:37 PM EST
Montreal’s leading scorer was hit hard by Anaheim’s Clayton Stoner.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:41 PM EST
The Wild are getting frustrated.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:24 PM EST
Initial reports don’t sound good.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:06 PM EST
Appeared in just two games this season before re-aggravating an existing issue.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:27 AM EST
The Caps’ struggles with depth down the middle are well documented…
Dec 19, 2014, 11:22 AM EST
Nightmarish campaign for the Finnish defenseman, health-wise.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
Trade rumors! Get your trade rumors!
Dec 19, 2014, 10:43 AM EST
He’s been a healthy scratch in five of Washington’s last six games.
Dec 19, 2014, 9:55 AM EST
New York has gone 3-3-0 in six straight games without either of them.
Dec 19, 2014, 9:02 AM EST
Although he feels this should serve as “a wake-up call for Berra.”
Dec 19, 2014, 8:02 AM EST
The picture is of former referee Don Van Massenhoven, who will serve as the event’s recorder.
Dec 19, 2014, 1:33 AM EST
These things happen.
Dec 19, 2014, 1:10 AM EST
But they did score more than two goals in a game for first time since Nov. 28.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:35 AM EST
Because everyone likes a snack before they line up for a faceoff, right?
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 1
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 5
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 6
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 4
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 22
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 30
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 10
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2