May 1, 2013, 1:10 AM EDT
The first night of the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs produced three straight low-scoring hockey games, and it looked like we were headed for three straight scores of 2-1.
The Anaheim Ducks opened up a 1-0 series lead over the Detroit Red Wings in their Western Conference quarter-final, but changed the trend with a 3-1 final score on home ice.
Here are some talking points.
- He just keeps on going, despite age. Yes, at the not-so-youthful age of 42, Teemu Selanne broke apart a 1-1 tie and scored the winning goal less than two minutes into the third period on the power play. By the way, he turns 43 on July 3.
- The Ducks held Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg off the score sheet. The two superstars combined for just four shots on goal and were a combined minus-two.
- Danny DeKeyser was, just over a month ago, a once-highly sought after college free agent who played at Western Michigan University. He is now in the Stanley Cup playoffs as a rookie defenseman with the Detroit Red Wings. He had 19:31 in ice time in his playoff debut.
- Another interesting stat: The home team is, so far in these playoffs, 3-0.
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 0
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 1
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 12
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 26
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)