May 1, 2013, 1:10 AM EDT
The first night of the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs produced three straight low-scoring hockey games, and it looked like we were headed for three straight scores of 2-1.
The Anaheim Ducks opened up a 1-0 series lead over the Detroit Red Wings in their Western Conference quarter-final, but changed the trend with a 3-1 final score on home ice.
Here are some talking points.
- He just keeps on going, despite age. Yes, at the not-so-youthful age of 42, Teemu Selanne broke apart a 1-1 tie and scored the winning goal less than two minutes into the third period on the power play. By the way, he turns 43 on July 3.
- The Ducks held Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg off the score sheet. The two superstars combined for just four shots on goal and were a combined minus-two.
- Danny DeKeyser was, just over a month ago, a once-highly sought after college free agent who played at Western Michigan University. He is now in the Stanley Cup playoffs as a rookie defenseman with the Detroit Red Wings. He had 19:31 in ice time in his playoff debut.
- Another interesting stat: The home team is, so far in these playoffs, 3-0.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 3
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 23
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)