May 1, 2013, 1:10 AM EST
The first night of the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs produced three straight low-scoring hockey games, and it looked like we were headed for three straight scores of 2-1.
The Anaheim Ducks opened up a 1-0 series lead over the Detroit Red Wings in their Western Conference quarter-final, but changed the trend with a 3-1 final score on home ice.
Here are some talking points.
- He just keeps on going, despite age. Yes, at the not-so-youthful age of 42, Teemu Selanne broke apart a 1-1 tie and scored the winning goal less than two minutes into the third period on the power play. By the way, he turns 43 on July 3.
- The Ducks held Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg off the score sheet. The two superstars combined for just four shots on goal and were a combined minus-two.
- Danny DeKeyser was, just over a month ago, a once-highly sought after college free agent who played at Western Michigan University. He is now in the Stanley Cup playoffs as a rookie defenseman with the Detroit Red Wings. He had 19:31 in ice time in his playoff debut.
- Another interesting stat: The home team is, so far in these playoffs, 3-0.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 16
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)