May 1, 2013, 1:10 AM EST
The first night of the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs produced three straight low-scoring hockey games, and it looked like we were headed for three straight scores of 2-1.
The Anaheim Ducks opened up a 1-0 series lead over the Detroit Red Wings in their Western Conference quarter-final, but changed the trend with a 3-1 final score on home ice.
Here are some talking points.
- He just keeps on going, despite age. Yes, at the not-so-youthful age of 42, Teemu Selanne broke apart a 1-1 tie and scored the winning goal less than two minutes into the third period on the power play. By the way, he turns 43 on July 3.
- The Ducks held Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg off the score sheet. The two superstars combined for just four shots on goal and were a combined minus-two.
- Danny DeKeyser was, just over a month ago, a once-highly sought after college free agent who played at Western Michigan University. He is now in the Stanley Cup playoffs as a rookie defenseman with the Detroit Red Wings. He had 19:31 in ice time in his playoff debut.
- Another interesting stat: The home team is, so far in these playoffs, 3-0.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)