May 1, 2013, 9:47 PM EDT
Wednesday represented the Toronto Maple Leafs’ first playoff game since 2004. The Boston Bruins made them look like a team that hasn’t been to the postseason in nearly a decade, beating them 4-1 in a game that might have been even more lopsided than the scored indicates (due to goals that were disallowed, among other factors).
Let’s get the discussion rolling:
- So, was this mismatch more about how strong the Bruins really are at full-strength or how flawed the Maple Leafs might be?
- On a scale of 1-10, how poorly do you think Toronto fans and media will react to this game?
- Speaking of which, who will get the most blame: Phil Kessel, James Reimer, Dion Phaneuf or someone else?
- Food for thought on Reimer: some of the goals he allowed were pretty bad, but the young goalie did face 40 shots. On the other hand, he’s been struggling lately. How long is his leash in Toronto?
- One Buds player who did have a nice night was James van Riemsdyk. He fired five shots on goal, including an early 1-0 marker. Will he be a factor in this series?
- Some Leafs fans critiqued Toronto’s “truculent” tendency to dress more than one enforcer. Should Randy Carlyle change that tactic?
- Name some positives for the Maple Leafs. Optional choice: “It’s just one game.”
- Does this lopsided win strengthen the argument that Boston is a championship contender? Discuss the Bruins’ chances of winning it all once more.
Jul 7, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
Jarmo Kekalainen brings a local boy into the organization.
Jul 7, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
“He’s obviously a great talent.”
Jul 7, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
In ESPN’s The Body Issue, of course.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:22 PM EDT
“It happened pretty fast. All of a sudden two fingers are not working.”
Jul 6, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
25-year-old defenseman struggled mightily last season.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
Connor McDavid’s running mate in Erie was the OHL’s leading scorer last season.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
Quebec City and Las Vegas have already expressed interest.
Jul 6, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT
Russian forward is coming off a solid rookie campaign.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:48 PM EDT
It’s now a crowded crease in Edmonton.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT
For the third straight year.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:29 PM EDT
That’s him in the blue shirt, standing next to ex-NHL goalie Dan Cloutier… who is 6’1.
Jul 6, 2015, 3:13 PM EDT
Spent last year with Colorado’s AHL affiliate.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT
Click for all the cap hits.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT
His Kelowna Rockets went to the 2015 Memorial Cup.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
“You basically say, ‘I have no idea what’s going on, but it’s a great place to play and we have great fans and a great stadium.'”
Jul 6, 2015, 12:02 PM EDT
Played 59 games for the Sabres last season.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
“He gets to come in and have a heck of a year and put the screws to us.”
Jul 6, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT
They have the arena, but not the potential owner.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Finished with a career-high 18 goals last season in Vancouver.
Jul 6, 2015, 9:58 AM EDT
Can become an unrestricted free agent next summer.
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 5
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 35
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12