May 1, 2013, 10:43 AM EST
Soldier Field is better known as the home of the Chicago Bears and this contest will be just one in a series of outdoor games in the 2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series.
“Our fans and our teams love outdoor games and we are thrilled the 2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series will present a number of these experiences to a large number of our fans in a variety of National Hockey League markets,” NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said. “The Chicago game, at Soldier Field, will be a match-up of two recent Stanley Cup champions at a landmark stadium.”
The Chicago Blackhawks previously hosted the Detroit Red Wings in the 2009 Winter Classic, which was played at Wrigley Field. The Penguins also have outdoor game experience after playing in the 2008 and 2011 Winter Classics.
Soldier Field was the site of the Hockey City Classic on Feb. 17, which featured a game between the University of Minnesota and the University of Wisconsin as well as Miami University’s contest against Notre Dame.
The NHL is expected to announce more outdoor contests in the coming weeks.
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 0
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 7
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 1
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 24
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11