May 1, 2013, 10:43 AM EDT
Soldier Field is better known as the home of the Chicago Bears and this contest will be just one in a series of outdoor games in the 2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series.
“Our fans and our teams love outdoor games and we are thrilled the 2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series will present a number of these experiences to a large number of our fans in a variety of National Hockey League markets,” NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said. “The Chicago game, at Soldier Field, will be a match-up of two recent Stanley Cup champions at a landmark stadium.”
The Chicago Blackhawks previously hosted the Detroit Red Wings in the 2009 Winter Classic, which was played at Wrigley Field. The Penguins also have outdoor game experience after playing in the 2008 and 2011 Winter Classics.
Soldier Field was the site of the Hockey City Classic on Feb. 17, which featured a game between the University of Minnesota and the University of Wisconsin as well as Miami University’s contest against Notre Dame.
The NHL is expected to announce more outdoor contests in the coming weeks.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 1
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 10
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 60
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (63)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)