Apr 30, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
Henrik and Daniel Sedin are 32 years old.
Alex Burrows is 32, as well.
Kevin Bieksa is 31.
Dan Hamhuis is 30.
While none of those five are too old for, you know, the earth, Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault knows the core of his team is running out of chances to win the franchise’s first Stanley Cup.
“Guys are smart, we’re all getting a little older,” Vigneault said Tuesday, one day prior to Vancouver’s first-round opener versus San Jose (another team that’s not exactly young) at Rogers Arena.
“They understand about the window. We’re in our window.”
Vigneault is also cognizant of the fact head coaches have a limited life span in the NHL. If the Canucks are eliminated early for a second straight season, he may be looking for a new job.
“We all know that. That’s the nature of this business,” he told the Vancouver Sun recently.
“I don’t go into the playoffs worrying about (getting fired). I go into it like it’s another great opportunity for this group. Our motivation is going to be so high. I get the disappointment or frustration from fans because we haven’t won the Cup. But since I’ve been here, we’ve had some great seasons and we’re doing our damn best to win that Cup. I hope our fans understand there’s not one player who won’t do everything they can to get this done. We’re going to go out there and kick some butt.”
If Schneider can’t play, Roberto Luongo will start.
- Here’s latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 64
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)