Apr 30, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
Henrik and Daniel Sedin are 32 years old.
Alex Burrows is 32, as well.
Kevin Bieksa is 31.
Dan Hamhuis is 30.
While none of those five are too old for, you know, the earth, Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault knows the core of his team is running out of chances to win the franchise’s first Stanley Cup.
“Guys are smart, we’re all getting a little older,” Vigneault said Tuesday, one day prior to Vancouver’s first-round opener versus San Jose (another team that’s not exactly young) at Rogers Arena.
“They understand about the window. We’re in our window.”
Vigneault is also cognizant of the fact head coaches have a limited life span in the NHL. If the Canucks are eliminated early for a second straight season, he may be looking for a new job.
“We all know that. That’s the nature of this business,” he told the Vancouver Sun recently.
“I don’t go into the playoffs worrying about (getting fired). I go into it like it’s another great opportunity for this group. Our motivation is going to be so high. I get the disappointment or frustration from fans because we haven’t won the Cup. But since I’ve been here, we’ve had some great seasons and we’re doing our damn best to win that Cup. I hope our fans understand there’s not one player who won’t do everything they can to get this done. We’re going to go out there and kick some butt.”
If Schneider can’t play, Roberto Luongo will start.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)