Apr 30, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
Henrik and Daniel Sedin are 32 years old.
Alex Burrows is 32, as well.
Kevin Bieksa is 31.
Dan Hamhuis is 30.
While none of those five are too old for, you know, the earth, Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault knows the core of his team is running out of chances to win the franchise’s first Stanley Cup.
“Guys are smart, we’re all getting a little older,” Vigneault said Tuesday, one day prior to Vancouver’s first-round opener versus San Jose (another team that’s not exactly young) at Rogers Arena.
“They understand about the window. We’re in our window.”
Vigneault is also cognizant of the fact head coaches have a limited life span in the NHL. If the Canucks are eliminated early for a second straight season, he may be looking for a new job.
“We all know that. That’s the nature of this business,” he told the Vancouver Sun recently.
“I don’t go into the playoffs worrying about (getting fired). I go into it like it’s another great opportunity for this group. Our motivation is going to be so high. I get the disappointment or frustration from fans because we haven’t won the Cup. But since I’ve been here, we’ve had some great seasons and we’re doing our damn best to win that Cup. I hope our fans understand there’s not one player who won’t do everything they can to get this done. We’re going to go out there and kick some butt.”
If Schneider can’t play, Roberto Luongo will start.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)