Apr 30, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
Henrik and Daniel Sedin are 32 years old.
Alex Burrows is 32, as well.
Kevin Bieksa is 31.
Dan Hamhuis is 30.
While none of those five are too old for, you know, the earth, Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault knows the core of his team is running out of chances to win the franchise’s first Stanley Cup.
“Guys are smart, we’re all getting a little older,” Vigneault said Tuesday, one day prior to Vancouver’s first-round opener versus San Jose (another team that’s not exactly young) at Rogers Arena.
“They understand about the window. We’re in our window.”
Vigneault is also cognizant of the fact head coaches have a limited life span in the NHL. If the Canucks are eliminated early for a second straight season, he may be looking for a new job.
“We all know that. That’s the nature of this business,” he told the Vancouver Sun recently.
“I don’t go into the playoffs worrying about (getting fired). I go into it like it’s another great opportunity for this group. Our motivation is going to be so high. I get the disappointment or frustration from fans because we haven’t won the Cup. But since I’ve been here, we’ve had some great seasons and we’re doing our damn best to win that Cup. I hope our fans understand there’s not one player who won’t do everything they can to get this done. We’re going to go out there and kick some butt.”
If Schneider can’t play, Roberto Luongo will start.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 22
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)