Apr 30, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
The playoffs are a big time for everyone, but for Boston goalie Tuukka Rask it’s a chance for him to prove how much he’s worth.
Rask is set to become a restricted free agent this summer and with Tim Thomas out of town, the Bruins are his team to lead. As Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com hears from GM Peter Chiarelli, how he performs in the playoffs will determine how much he gets paid.
“You’re judged on your performance. That will apply to Tuukka [Rask]. That will apply to everyone who is up for an extension,” said Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli. “Tuukka is no different than the rest of them. He’s a restricted free agent this year, and after the season we’ll look at it and try to get him signed.”
Rask made $3.5 million against the cap this season and you’d have to think he’s due for a raise. After seeing what Detroit’s Jimmy Howard cashed in with from the Red Wings (six years, over $31 million), that would seem like a target number to shoot for. A Boston run to the Stanley Cup finals would do wonders for his wallet.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)