Apr 30, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
The playoffs are a big time for everyone, but for Boston goalie Tuukka Rask it’s a chance for him to prove how much he’s worth.
Rask is set to become a restricted free agent this summer and with Tim Thomas out of town, the Bruins are his team to lead. As Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com hears from GM Peter Chiarelli, how he performs in the playoffs will determine how much he gets paid.
“You’re judged on your performance. That will apply to Tuukka [Rask]. That will apply to everyone who is up for an extension,” said Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli. “Tuukka is no different than the rest of them. He’s a restricted free agent this year, and after the season we’ll look at it and try to get him signed.”
Rask made $3.5 million against the cap this season and you’d have to think he’s due for a raise. After seeing what Detroit’s Jimmy Howard cashed in with from the Red Wings (six years, over $31 million), that would seem like a target number to shoot for. A Boston run to the Stanley Cup finals would do wonders for his wallet.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 5
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 28
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 14
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)