Apr 30, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
The playoffs are a big time for everyone, but for Boston goalie Tuukka Rask it’s a chance for him to prove how much he’s worth.
Rask is set to become a restricted free agent this summer and with Tim Thomas out of town, the Bruins are his team to lead. As Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com hears from GM Peter Chiarelli, how he performs in the playoffs will determine how much he gets paid.
“You’re judged on your performance. That will apply to Tuukka [Rask]. That will apply to everyone who is up for an extension,” said Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli. “Tuukka is no different than the rest of them. He’s a restricted free agent this year, and after the season we’ll look at it and try to get him signed.”
Rask made $3.5 million against the cap this season and you’d have to think he’s due for a raise. After seeing what Detroit’s Jimmy Howard cashed in with from the Red Wings (six years, over $31 million), that would seem like a target number to shoot for. A Boston run to the Stanley Cup finals would do wonders for his wallet.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5