Apr 30, 2013, 6:47 PM EST
The playoffs are a big time for everyone, but for Boston goalie Tuukka Rask it’s a chance for him to prove how much he’s worth.
Rask is set to become a restricted free agent this summer and with Tim Thomas out of town, the Bruins are his team to lead. As Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com hears from GM Peter Chiarelli, how he performs in the playoffs will determine how much he gets paid.
“You’re judged on your performance. That will apply to Tuukka [Rask]. That will apply to everyone who is up for an extension,” said Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli. “Tuukka is no different than the rest of them. He’s a restricted free agent this year, and after the season we’ll look at it and try to get him signed.”
Rask made $3.5 million against the cap this season and you’d have to think he’s due for a raise. After seeing what Detroit’s Jimmy Howard cashed in with from the Red Wings (six years, over $31 million), that would seem like a target number to shoot for. A Boston run to the Stanley Cup finals would do wonders for his wallet.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 0
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 2
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)