Apr 30, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
The playoffs are a big time for everyone, but for Boston goalie Tuukka Rask it’s a chance for him to prove how much he’s worth.
Rask is set to become a restricted free agent this summer and with Tim Thomas out of town, the Bruins are his team to lead. As Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com hears from GM Peter Chiarelli, how he performs in the playoffs will determine how much he gets paid.
“You’re judged on your performance. That will apply to Tuukka [Rask]. That will apply to everyone who is up for an extension,” said Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli. “Tuukka is no different than the rest of them. He’s a restricted free agent this year, and after the season we’ll look at it and try to get him signed.”
Rask made $3.5 million against the cap this season and you’d have to think he’s due for a raise. After seeing what Detroit’s Jimmy Howard cashed in with from the Red Wings (six years, over $31 million), that would seem like a target number to shoot for. A Boston run to the Stanley Cup finals would do wonders for his wallet.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)