Apr 30, 2013, 3:18 PM EST
The Nashville Predators announced on Tuesday they’ve agreed to terms with forward Patric Hornqvist on a five-year, $21.25 million deal.
“As we build towards the 2013-14 season and beyond, re-signing Patric Hornqvist was an off-season priority,” Preds GM Poile said in a statement. “Since joining the Predators, he has become—and will remain—an integral member of our core group.”
Hornqvist, 26, has been one of Nashville’s most consistent scorers over the last three seasons, posting a career-high 30 goals in 2009-10 (21 goals in ’10-11, 27 in ’11-12).
His 2013 season was largely derailed by knee and upper-body injuries, yet Hornqvist still managed to rack up 14 points in 24 games — finishing ninth among all Predators in scoring, despite missing half the year.
This new deal will net the Swedish winger $4.25 million annually, a nice pay bump from the three-year, $9.25 million deal he inked with Nashville in 2010.
As a result, Hornqvist becomes the Predators’ second-highest paid forward for 2013-14, only behind veteran David Legwand, who will make $4.5 million.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 7
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 13
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 23
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 22
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)