Apr 30, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT
Pittsburgh could be looking at a healthy defensive unit for Game 1 if all goes well.
The team reported defenseman Brooks Orpik skated this morning and would be a game-time decision for Game 1 against the Islanders tomorrow night. Orpik was hurt a week ago today against the Sabres after playing just 6:44 worth of game time.
Of course, the Pens are currently still without Sidney Crosby up front but their defense is almost fully back with Orpik the lone holdout. Paul Martin made his return to action in their final regular season game against Carolina on Saturday. The Pens could sure use a fully healthy defense to help contain John Tavares and Matt Moulson in the first-round of the playoffs.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 2
- In praise of John Tavares 11
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 20
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36