Apr 30, 2013, 5:40 PM EST
But according to Sharks head coach Todd McLellan, there’s a new leader emerging — Logan Couture.
“The way he’s been playing lately, he’s been driving our bus right now,” McLellan told the San Jose Mercury News. “He’s the head guy and he’s making it happen and we’re happy for him.
“He’s elevated himself into an elite role — he’s penetrated into that leadership group and solidified his place there.”
Couture, 24, led the Sharks in goals this year (21) and tied Joe Pavelski for the team lead in game-winning tallies, with five.
Yet it’s his emergence as a defensive force that’s really raised eyebrows. He tied Martin Havlat for a team-best plus-7 rating and, along with Marleau and TJ Galiardi, has formed San Jose’ top shutdown line.
Couture also led the Sharks with 51 blocked shots in the abbreviated season, second among all NHL forwards (only New York’s Ryan Callahan had more).
Looking ahead, it’s possible Couture will match up with Vancouver’s Ryan Kesler in the opening playoff round.
Thornton drew the majority of the assignment during the 2011 Western Conference finals, but Couture said he’d relish the opportunity to square off against the 2011 Selke Trophy winner this time around.
“He battles, he’s a competitor, he’s hard on pucks. He just makes it tough to play against,” Couture said of Kesler. “He’s just one of the tougher centers to play against in the Western Conference.
“I look forward to the challenge if we do happen to match up against him.”
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 0
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 28
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 27
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 37
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)