Apr 30, 2013, 9:41 PM EST
After missing the postseason two years in a row, you’d be able to guess the pressure on GM Steve Yzerman to fix things is pretty high. Lightning fans can take heart that the effort to fix things up in Tampa is well underway.
Erik Erlendsson of The Tampa Tribune hears from the Lightning GM about what’s happening with the Bolts.
“Our group will change, how dramatically I’m not prepared to say yet, but we’ll explore options as far as improving the areas we feel need to be addressed,” Yzerman said. “We have players coming up from Syracuse (of the American Hockey League) next year that will have an opportunity to make this team. So, things will be different; they need to be different.”
Those kids from Syracuse (Alex Killorn, Richard Panik, Tyler Johnson, Radko Gudas) got a healthy look at life in the pros this season thanks to various injuries. Firing Guy Boucher and dealing one of those youngsters in Cory Conacher to Ottawa for Ben Bishop helped change the look in goal as well.
Further rebuilding will likely have to come via trade. According to CapGeek, they’ve got nearly $61 million committed to 17 players next season and with a $64.3 million cap, Yzerman’s got some work ahead of him.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)