Letter: Don Cherry, Bruins had first female reporter dressing room policy

Apr 30, 2013, 2:01 AM EDT

Robin Herman, a former hockey writer for the New York Times, wrote an online letter for ESPN to Don Cherry, containing an interesting tidbit about allowing female reporters into NHL locker rooms during the 1970s.

Here is a small part of what Herman wrote to and about Cherry. The letter was published online early Tuesday morning.

I’d gotten a lot of publicity for breaking “the locker room barrier” at the 1975 All-Star Game in Montreal, but that was a one-off. You were the first coach in the NHL to allow me, a female, accredited sports reporter and member of the Professional Hockey Writers’ Association, into your locker room as a matter of policy. You were coaching the “Big Bad Bruins,” and it was ironic that a team with that reputation should be the most forward-thinking in the NHL.

Click here for the full version of the letter.

This comes after Cherry, the star of Hockey Night in Canada’s Coach’s Corner, said during his Saturday segment: “I don’t believe — and I really believe this — that women should be in a male dressing room.

“I remember the first time it happened to me, guys are walking around naked, and I hear this woman’s voice, I turn around and there’s a woman and she’s asking me about the power play. I said ‘let’s go outside,’ she said ‘I’m not embarrassed.’ I said ‘I am.’”

Cherry said this five days after Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith made a comment to a female reporter in Vancouver.

Herman, in her letter for ESPN, expressed disbelief when she heard about what Cherry said on television this weekend.

“You were all out of sorts about women reporters in the locker room. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Don’t you remember? I guess you don’t,” she wrote.

Latest Posts
  1. Modano: Stars need more from Benn, Lehtonen and Seguin

Apr 19, 2014, 1:29 AM EDT

Jamie Benn, Mike Modano AP

Ryan Getzlaf, Frederik Andersen and Corey Perry “are winning that battle,” he said.

2. Alfredsson praises ‘outstanding’ Howard after shutting out B’s

Apr 18, 2014, 11:59 PM EDT

Howard AP

“It was one individual effort that made the difference today.”

3. Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind

Apr 18, 2014, 10:27 PM EDT

Lucic spear

There was no penalty on the play.

4. Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1

Apr 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT

Jimmy Howard, Niklas Kronwall, Patrice Bergeron AP

Jimmy Howard had a shutout in the goaltending duel.

5. Playoff viewership way up through first two days

Apr 18, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT

nbcsn_acronym_logo_horizontal_finalsmall

Naturally, the Blackhawks-Blues triple-overtime game was very popular.

6. Video: Bruins establish physical game early

Apr 18, 2014, 8:51 PM EDT

Pavel Datsyuk, Patrice Bergeron Pavel Datsyuk, Patrice Bergeron

Detroit was near the bottom of the pack in hits in the regular season.

7. Video: Canadiens end long power-play drought

Apr 18, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT

Montreal goal

They took a 1-0 lead over Tampa Bay in the process.

8. Chicago looks past triple-overtime loss

Apr 18, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT

Chicago Blackhawks v St. Louis Blues - Game One Getty Images

“We expected a tough series against (St. Louis).”

9. Yeo argues Wild need to be more physical with rookie MacKinnon

Apr 18, 2014, 7:43 PM EDT

Nathan MacKinnon AP

The rookie had three assists last night.

10. WATCH LIVE: Detroit Red Wings at Boston Bruins (Game 1)

Apr 18, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT

Gustav Nyquist, Tuukka Rask AP

The last of the first round series is about to begin.

11. Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’

Apr 18, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT

Joel Quenneville AP

This isn’t the first time he’s been fined.

12. Poile: Nashville’s defense will be best we’ve ever had

Apr 18, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT

sethjonesgetty Getty Images

That’s a pretty bold statement, given that Nashville used to have blueliners like Kimmo Timonen and Ryan Suter.

13. Report: AHL could have new division in western U.S.

Apr 18, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT

AHLlogo

Apparently, the “Coyotes, Ducks, Kings, and Sharks are on board” with relocating their minor-league affiliates closer to home.

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D