Apr 30, 2013, 2:01 AM EST
Robin Herman, a former hockey writer for the New York Times, wrote an online letter for ESPN to Don Cherry, containing an interesting tidbit about allowing female reporters into NHL locker rooms during the 1970s.
Here is a small part of what Herman wrote to and about Cherry. The letter was published online early Tuesday morning.
I’d gotten a lot of publicity for breaking “the locker room barrier” at the 1975 All-Star Game in Montreal, but that was a one-off. You were the first coach in the NHL to allow me, a female, accredited sports reporter and member of the Professional Hockey Writers’ Association, into your locker room as a matter of policy. You were coaching the “Big Bad Bruins,” and it was ironic that a team with that reputation should be the most forward-thinking in the NHL.
Click here for the full version of the letter.
This comes after Cherry, the star of Hockey Night in Canada’s Coach’s Corner, said during his Saturday segment: “I don’t believe — and I really believe this — that women should be in a male dressing room.
“I remember the first time it happened to me, guys are walking around naked, and I hear this woman’s voice, I turn around and there’s a woman and she’s asking me about the power play. I said ‘let’s go outside,’ she said ‘I’m not embarrassed.’ I said ‘I am.’”
Herman, in her letter for ESPN, expressed disbelief when she heard about what Cherry said on television this weekend.
“You were all out of sorts about women reporters in the locker room. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Don’t you remember? I guess you don’t,” she wrote.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)