Apr 30, 2013, 2:03 PM EDT
Anaheim head coach Bruce Boudreau was facing a big decision in goal for his club’s opening-round series.
On Tuesday, it looked like he made it.
The decision means Hiller will make his first playoff appearance since 2009 and Viktor Fasth will be relegated to a backup role.
Hiller and Fasth — the 30-year-old Swedish rookie — have essentially split time this season:
Hiller: 26 games played, 15-6-4, 2.36 GAA, .913 save percentage, 1 shutout
Fasth: 25 games played, 15-6-2, 2.18 GAA, .921 save percentage, 4 shutouts
But just because Boudreau’s gone with the Swiss ‘tender over the Swede, doesn’t mean we won’t see both during this series.
If the coach’s history is any indication, a flip-flop in goal is very possible.
“I’ve had two guys,” Boudreau told the LA Times. “Like in Washington, we had [Michal] Neuvirth and [Semyon] Varlamov when they were rookies and they both played the same equal amount. You didn’t know who you were going to start.
“The first year we had [Olaf] Kolzig and Cristobal Huet, very similar situation, and then we had [Jose] Theodore and Varlamov where I did switch and go to the first-year player after two games. Unfortunately, the teams I’ve coached, or fortunately, have had two good goalies and no real clear-cut [No. 1].”
It’s likely that Hiller’s postseason experience got him the nod over Fasth, though it should be noted he missed all of Anaheim’s last playoff appearance — a six-game defeat to Nashville in 2011 — while dealing with vertigo.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)