Apr 30, 2013, 2:03 PM EDT
Anaheim head coach Bruce Boudreau was facing a big decision in goal for his club’s opening-round series.
On Tuesday, it looked like he made it.
The decision means Hiller will make his first playoff appearance since 2009 and Viktor Fasth will be relegated to a backup role.
Hiller and Fasth — the 30-year-old Swedish rookie — have essentially split time this season:
Hiller: 26 games played, 15-6-4, 2.36 GAA, .913 save percentage, 1 shutout
Fasth: 25 games played, 15-6-2, 2.18 GAA, .921 save percentage, 4 shutouts
But just because Boudreau’s gone with the Swiss ‘tender over the Swede, doesn’t mean we won’t see both during this series.
If the coach’s history is any indication, a flip-flop in goal is very possible.
“I’ve had two guys,” Boudreau told the LA Times. “Like in Washington, we had [Michal] Neuvirth and [Semyon] Varlamov when they were rookies and they both played the same equal amount. You didn’t know who you were going to start.
“The first year we had [Olaf] Kolzig and Cristobal Huet, very similar situation, and then we had [Jose] Theodore and Varlamov where I did switch and go to the first-year player after two games. Unfortunately, the teams I’ve coached, or fortunately, have had two good goalies and no real clear-cut [No. 1].”
It’s likely that Hiller’s postseason experience got him the nod over Fasth, though it should be noted he missed all of Anaheim’s last playoff appearance — a six-game defeat to Nashville in 2011 — while dealing with vertigo.
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 3
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)