Apr 30, 2013, 12:48 AM EST
The Anaheim Ducks finished the lockout-shortened season as the second seed in the Western Conference. Their entry into the Stanley Cup playoffs was never really in doubt.
The Detroit Red Wings, on the other hand, had to fight right down to the final Saturday of the regular season in order to make the playoffs. The last time they did not qualify for the post-season was in 1990, so there was a very impressive streak on the line.
On paper, it would seem as though the Ducks are the favorites heading into this quarter-final, which begins Tuesday in Anaheim.
As one might expect, the Ducks were saying all the right things on Monday, heaping praise on the Red Wings and deflecting any heightened pressure.
“Have you listened to the media the last couple of days?” Ducks forward and captain Ryan Getzlaf told the L.A. Times.
“We are not the favorite, trust me. It’s the same story as the whole season. We’re prepared for that.”
The Red Wings, with a playoff appearance hanging dangerously in the balance down the stretch, found a way to win four straight games to close out the season.
Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock has seen an improvement in his team’s play, but it always helps when you get good goaltending.
Dec 26, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
The Anaheim Ducks have been good — or is it lucky? — in one-goal games.
Dec 26, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
Connor McDavid headlines a loaded host side that hasn’t won gold since 2009.
Dec 26, 2014, 1:28 PM EST
Dec 26, 2014, 12:43 PM EST
New Jersey off to a disappointing 12-17-7 start. The coach pays the price.
Dec 26, 2014, 12:34 PM EST
Brandon Sutter cleared.
Dec 26, 2014, 11:59 AM EST
Put Matt Duchene on the list of supporters.
Dec 26, 2014, 11:17 AM EST
“That was something that wore on guys.”
Dec 26, 2014, 10:20 AM EST
He already grabbed the franchise’ assists mark in that category.
Dec 26, 2014, 9:39 AM EST
They picked him over Eric Comrie.
Dec 26, 2014, 8:31 AM EST
Boxing Day links.
Dec 25, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
The waters are being tested with a ticket drive.
Dec 25, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
Sidney Crosby and Corey Perry are just two of the players that have been inflicted by the NHL outbreak.
Dec 25, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
And the NHL’s swift, significant response.
Dec 25, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
2014 was another painful year, but was it also one of progress?
Dec 25, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
The perfect storm that led to a shocking trade deadline captains swap between two teams looking to make serious playoff runs.
Dec 25, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
A major letdown in Sochi, followed by the Caps missing the playoffs.
Dec 25, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
One of the best performances in international hockey history.
Dec 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
Hockey mourned the loss of two of its most respected individuals.
Dec 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
It wasn’t the reason he was fired, but it sure was memorable.
Dec 25, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
After 22 years, the Finnish Flash called it a day.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 13
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 15
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)