Apr 30, 2013, 12:48 AM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks finished the lockout-shortened season as the second seed in the Western Conference. Their entry into the Stanley Cup playoffs was never really in doubt.
The Detroit Red Wings, on the other hand, had to fight right down to the final Saturday of the regular season in order to make the playoffs. The last time they did not qualify for the post-season was in 1990, so there was a very impressive streak on the line.
On paper, it would seem as though the Ducks are the favorites heading into this quarter-final, which begins Tuesday in Anaheim.
As one might expect, the Ducks were saying all the right things on Monday, heaping praise on the Red Wings and deflecting any heightened pressure.
“Have you listened to the media the last couple of days?” Ducks forward and captain Ryan Getzlaf told the L.A. Times.
“We are not the favorite, trust me. It’s the same story as the whole season. We’re prepared for that.”
The Red Wings, with a playoff appearance hanging dangerously in the balance down the stretch, found a way to win four straight games to close out the season.
Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock has seen an improvement in his team’s play, but it always helps when you get good goaltending.
Mar 9, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Can Johan Franzen maintain his incredible post-Olympics pace?
Mar 9, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
The 21-year-old is making the transition from the KHL.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT
It helped lead St. Louis to its fourth straight win.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT
Buffalo hasn’t been so bad lately, despite what the team looks like on paper.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They both desperately need every point they can get.
Mar 9, 2014, 1:09 AM EDT
A much-needed victory for Vancouver.
Mar 9, 2014, 12:14 AM EDT
Short ones on Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
Roberto Luongo: quiet, so far.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT
Tyler Seguin is just on fire right now.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
Dallas scored once on the resulting five-minute major penalty.
Mar 8, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
Seeding battles heat up.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Jaroslav Halak wins in his Washington debut.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
He scored the game-winner for New Jersey against Carolina.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:53 PM EDT
A solid Saturday for the Sens.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:24 PM EDT
His No. 9 ascends to the rafters.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:11 PM EDT
His latest acquisitions Matt Moulson and Cody McCormick are set to debut Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
Sounds like he’ll take his talents to Europe instead.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:37 PM EDT
He was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis earlier this month.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT
Craig Anderson made 46 saves on Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Making a strong first impression in St. Louis.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 4
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 15
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 19
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)