Apr 30, 2013, 12:48 AM EST
The Anaheim Ducks finished the lockout-shortened season as the second seed in the Western Conference. Their entry into the Stanley Cup playoffs was never really in doubt.
The Detroit Red Wings, on the other hand, had to fight right down to the final Saturday of the regular season in order to make the playoffs. The last time they did not qualify for the post-season was in 1990, so there was a very impressive streak on the line.
On paper, it would seem as though the Ducks are the favorites heading into this quarter-final, which begins Tuesday in Anaheim.
As one might expect, the Ducks were saying all the right things on Monday, heaping praise on the Red Wings and deflecting any heightened pressure.
“Have you listened to the media the last couple of days?” Ducks forward and captain Ryan Getzlaf told the L.A. Times.
“We are not the favorite, trust me. It’s the same story as the whole season. We’re prepared for that.”
The Red Wings, with a playoff appearance hanging dangerously in the balance down the stretch, found a way to win four straight games to close out the season.
Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock has seen an improvement in his team’s play, but it always helps when you get good goaltending.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:51 AM EST
They’re playing without Tyler Bozak and Dave Bolland.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
He would have preferred they talked about the rookie goalie that just got his first shutout.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:01 AM EST
Is the end coming for Jack Capuano?
Dec 8, 2013, 1:28 AM EST
This chapter in the Battle of Alberta goes to Calgary.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:05 AM EST
Three straight losses to Pacific Division giants.
Dec 8, 2013, 12:18 AM EST
Toronto outshot yet again.
Dec 7, 2013, 11:40 PM EST
Reported blow to the head.
Dec 7, 2013, 11:09 PM EST
Another dirty incident.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
Happened on first shift.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:28 PM EST
‘I made a mistake’
Dec 7, 2013, 10:08 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 9:50 PM EST
Has a history with concussions.
Dec 7, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 9:11 PM EST
Taken to hospital.
Dec 7, 2013, 8:51 PM EST
Also, his views on fighting.
Dec 7, 2013, 8:22 PM EST
Some good news.
Dec 7, 2013, 7:48 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 7:25 PM EST
Will not return.
Dec 7, 2013, 7:01 PM EST
Pair of forwards going to San Jose.
Dec 7, 2013, 6:31 PM EST
Dallas unsuccessful on that power play.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 59
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 61
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 34
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 167
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (167)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (62)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) (61)