Apr 30, 2013, 12:48 AM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks finished the lockout-shortened season as the second seed in the Western Conference. Their entry into the Stanley Cup playoffs was never really in doubt.
The Detroit Red Wings, on the other hand, had to fight right down to the final Saturday of the regular season in order to make the playoffs. The last time they did not qualify for the post-season was in 1990, so there was a very impressive streak on the line.
On paper, it would seem as though the Ducks are the favorites heading into this quarter-final, which begins Tuesday in Anaheim.
As one might expect, the Ducks were saying all the right things on Monday, heaping praise on the Red Wings and deflecting any heightened pressure.
“Have you listened to the media the last couple of days?” Ducks forward and captain Ryan Getzlaf told the L.A. Times.
“We are not the favorite, trust me. It’s the same story as the whole season. We’re prepared for that.”
The Red Wings, with a playoff appearance hanging dangerously in the balance down the stretch, found a way to win four straight games to close out the season.
Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock has seen an improvement in his team’s play, but it always helps when you get good goaltending.
May 30, 2015, 1:08 AM EDT
Hard to blame the goalie in this one.
May 30, 2015, 12:17 AM EDT
“I don’t know if we’re so young and dumb and don’t know any better…”
May 29, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
Might explain what occurred in the first period.
May 29, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT
Tampa Bay awaits the winner of the Blackhawks-Ducks series.
May 29, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
Is it enough?
May 29, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Game 7 goes Saturday.
May 29, 2015, 8:54 PM EDT
Something to keep an eye on.
May 29, 2015, 8:21 PM EDT
Rangers also make one change to the lineup.
May 29, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
The winner, as you know, goes to the Stanley Cup Final.
May 29, 2015, 6:39 PM EDT
“I’ve met with Nick several times and he knows he made a terrible mistake.”
May 29, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
And it looks like Tomas Fleischmann might replace Emerson Etem, again.
May 29, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
People like ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
May 29, 2015, 3:49 PM EDT
Appeared in just 33 games this season.
May 29, 2015, 3:16 PM EDT
“I don’t feel any tingling or soreness.”
May 29, 2015, 2:18 PM EDT
NHL Central Scouting thinks slightly more of the B.C. defender.
May 29, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
Spent the past five seasons in the KHL.
May 29, 2015, 1:34 PM EDT
That’s former NHL defenseman and current AHL Binghamton bench boss Luke Richardson.
May 29, 2015, 12:51 PM EDT
This according to his club team, Avangard Omsk.
May 29, 2015, 12:49 PM EDT
How does it compare to past promos?
May 29, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
“The last two years, we were a different team.”
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (67)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)