Apr 30, 2013, 12:48 AM EST
The Anaheim Ducks finished the lockout-shortened season as the second seed in the Western Conference. Their entry into the Stanley Cup playoffs was never really in doubt.
The Detroit Red Wings, on the other hand, had to fight right down to the final Saturday of the regular season in order to make the playoffs. The last time they did not qualify for the post-season was in 1990, so there was a very impressive streak on the line.
On paper, it would seem as though the Ducks are the favorites heading into this quarter-final, which begins Tuesday in Anaheim.
As one might expect, the Ducks were saying all the right things on Monday, heaping praise on the Red Wings and deflecting any heightened pressure.
“Have you listened to the media the last couple of days?” Ducks forward and captain Ryan Getzlaf told the L.A. Times.
“We are not the favorite, trust me. It’s the same story as the whole season. We’re prepared for that.”
The Red Wings, with a playoff appearance hanging dangerously in the balance down the stretch, found a way to win four straight games to close out the season.
Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock has seen an improvement in his team’s play, but it always helps when you get good goaltending.
Nov 28, 2014, 8:02 PM EST
You don’t see many goals that look like this.
Nov 28, 2014, 7:27 PM EST
That’s on top of Johnny Boychuk’s injury.
Nov 28, 2014, 6:58 PM EST
“We just didn’t execute tonight.”
Nov 28, 2014, 6:10 PM EST
The Blackhawks defenseman was able to stay in the game.
Nov 28, 2014, 5:18 PM EST
He was quite composed when he said it, for the record.
Nov 28, 2014, 5:03 PM EST
Anaheim forward didn’t take another shift for the remainder of the opening frame.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:54 PM EST
Veteran d-man wasn’t playing much for Tampa Bay.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Oilers looked better last night in Nashville.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:04 PM EST
Cam Talbot shuts the door again, Blueshirts win 3-0.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
“Just that idea destroys the whole credibility of an organization.”
Nov 28, 2014, 3:41 PM EST
Even after Semyon Varlamov returns from injury.
Nov 28, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
Not bad for a little guy who wasn’t even drafted.
Nov 28, 2014, 2:39 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 28, 2014, 1:50 PM EST
Veteran d-man will be parked in the press box in Buffalo tonight.
Nov 28, 2014, 1:36 PM EST
Minnesota’s in Dallas tonight.
Nov 28, 2014, 1:08 PM EST
Semyon Varlamov was brilliant last season, but not so much this season.
Nov 28, 2014, 12:08 PM EST
Rivals meet for the second time this season.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:37 AM EST
“And I say that with all due respect to the players we have.”
Nov 28, 2014, 11:35 AM EST
Nov 28, 2014, 11:22 AM EST
After missing the last 11 games with a separated shoulder.
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 0
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 23
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)