Apr 30, 2013, 12:48 AM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks finished the lockout-shortened season as the second seed in the Western Conference. Their entry into the Stanley Cup playoffs was never really in doubt.
The Detroit Red Wings, on the other hand, had to fight right down to the final Saturday of the regular season in order to make the playoffs. The last time they did not qualify for the post-season was in 1990, so there was a very impressive streak on the line.
On paper, it would seem as though the Ducks are the favorites heading into this quarter-final, which begins Tuesday in Anaheim.
As one might expect, the Ducks were saying all the right things on Monday, heaping praise on the Red Wings and deflecting any heightened pressure.
“Have you listened to the media the last couple of days?” Ducks forward and captain Ryan Getzlaf told the L.A. Times.
“We are not the favorite, trust me. It’s the same story as the whole season. We’re prepared for that.”
The Red Wings, with a playoff appearance hanging dangerously in the balance down the stretch, found a way to win four straight games to close out the season.
Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock has seen an improvement in his team’s play, but it always helps when you get good goaltending.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Tampa Bay needed a strong start like this.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:22 PM EDT
Just one appearance in this series.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
Tough to argue with this two-way trio.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
One Game 7 and one team hoping to force another.
Apr 27, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
Tom Stillman did say “I’m sure there’ll be changes” following another first-round playoff defeat.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Expected to make full recovery within 4-6 weeks.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT
Former Maple Leaf and Red Wing appeared in over 1,200 career games, winning five Stanley Cups.
Apr 27, 2015, 3:11 PM EDT
Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis were each asked if they’d be willing to waive their no-trade clauses.
Apr 27, 2015, 2:47 PM EDT
Flames head coach Bob Hartley confirmed the decision on Monday.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Tournament will be a big one for the Flyers forward.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:17 PM EDT
Thus ending the Scott Darling era… for now.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
New building could open by the fall of 2017.
Apr 27, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Diminutive forward left Game 5 after taking a shot to the helmet.
Apr 27, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
Tournament begins May 1 in the Czech Republic.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:59 AM EDT
Interference aside, Tampa Bay has had no shortage of power-play time.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:52 AM EDT
Referees Dan O’Rourke (No. 9) and Dan O’Halloran (No. 13), linesmen Greg Devorski (No. 54) and Michel Cormier (No. 76).
Apr 27, 2015, 11:35 AM EDT
Pittsburgh has a lot of cap space tied up in two players.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT
Washington makes a lineup change in advance of Game 7 versus the Isles.
- Kronwalled: Red Wings D levels Lightning’s Kucherov 5
- Video: Mrazek makes astounding save, Stamkos brawls again 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 14
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 50
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)