Apr 30, 2013, 1:31 PM EST
On Tuesday, Washington head coach Adam Oates said he’s expecting Joel Ward to return to the lineup for Game 1 of the Capitals’ Eastern Conference quarterfinal against the Rangers.
Ward, 32, has been out since Apr. 7 with a knee injury after blocking a Sami Salo shot.
He missed Washington’s final nine games of the regular season, cutting short a productive second campaign in the nation’s capital that saw him score more points (20) in 39 games than he scored all of last season (18 in 73 games).
Getting Ward back for the playoffs is a big get for the Caps, as he’s been something of a clutch postseason performer during his six-year career.
Ward scored four points in six games during his playoff debut — Nashville’s loss to Chicago in the opening round of 2010 — then broke out by scoring seven goals in 12 games during the 2011 postseason, finishing with a ridiculous shooting percentage (25%).
Last year, Ward famously scored the Game 7 OT winner as the seventh-seeded Caps upset the second-seeded Bruins in the opening round.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (146)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)