Apr 29, 2013, 5:26 PM EDT
Say this about Craig Leipold — he’s not short on confidence.
Two days after Minnesota made the postseason for the first time since 2008 — as the Western Conference’s No. 8 seed — the owner said his club reminded him of another eighth-seeded club:
Last year’s Los Angeles Kings.
More, from Leipold’s interview with Bob Sansevere of the Pioneer Press:
BS: In every sport, there have been teams that struggle at the end of a regular season and then have renewed life. Is that what you’re expecting to happen?
CL: There is no better example than what happened last year with the Los Angeles Kings.
The L.A. Kings only won four of their last 11 games and they lost their last two games. Still got into the playoffs and end up winning the Stanley Cup. We don’t have to go very far to find a model. We think our team is very much like the Kings. We go hot. We go cold. We did it all season.
Now we’ve got to go hot, and we think we can.
To build on this theme, recent success of No. 8 seeds actually goes beyond Los Angeles:
— In 2012, Ottawa took the New York Rangers to Game 7.
— In 2011, Chicago took Vancouver to Game 7.
— In 2010, Montreal made it to the Eastern Conference finals.
— In 2009, Anaheim beat San Jose in Round 1.
But there’s a problem in comparing this year’s Minnesota team with last year’s Los Angeles team, and that problem is playoff experience.
Specifically, how the Wild fall short of the Kings.
The Kings, meanwhile, went into last postseason with four Stanley Cup winners (Justin Williams, Dustin Penner, Rob Scuderi, Colin Fraser), five more Cup finalists (Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Simon Gagne, Matt Greene, Jarret Stoll) and an experienced playoff vet in Willie Mitchell.
Despite this, Leipold remains confident in his group.
“This is a whole new season,” he explained. “It’s the hot team with the hot goalie and hot players that will now start to rise. We think we’ve got a chance to do that.”
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 6
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22