Apr 29, 2013, 9:03 AM EDT
Vancouver Canucks forwards Daniel and Henrik Sedin aren’t in the twilight of their career, but they aren’t young anymore either.
At the age of 32, the twins have frequently been on squads capable of winning the Stanley Cup. They even came within one win of capturing the Cup in 2011, but they have never claimed it. Now, as the Canucks prepare for their series against the San Jose Sharks, they appreciate more than ever just how finite their number of remaining opportunities is.
“We had good teams for a number of years now and you never know how it’s going to go next year,” Daniel said, according to the Calgary Sun. “It’s one thing everyone was talking about when we first came into the league but you didn’t realize that back then. Time is going to fly by … and there’s not so many chances left. You just have to enjoy it and try to win.”
Henrik noted that the Canucks’ core has gathered plenty of postseason experience over their previous runs. That gives Henrik confidence in their preparation, but at the same time he also echoed his brother’s remarks.
“Our first couple years, you went into the playoffs and everything was fun, it was a great experience and you learned from it,” Henrik said. “But you never thought about it being your last time around and your last chance. Now you do.”
Of course, there are star players on the San Jose Sharks who likely feel the same way. Captain Joe Thornton is 33 years old and searching for his first Stanley Cup. So is Sharks forward Patrick Marleau.
Both of these teams have been consistently great in the regular season for years, but have fallen short in the playoffs. With time running out for both dynasties, there should be a lot of passion in this series.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)