Apr 29, 2013, 9:03 AM EST
Vancouver Canucks forwards Daniel and Henrik Sedin aren’t in the twilight of their career, but they aren’t young anymore either.
At the age of 32, the twins have frequently been on squads capable of winning the Stanley Cup. They even came within one win of capturing the Cup in 2011, but they have never claimed it. Now, as the Canucks prepare for their series against the San Jose Sharks, they appreciate more than ever just how finite their number of remaining opportunities is.
“We had good teams for a number of years now and you never know how it’s going to go next year,” Daniel said, according to the Calgary Sun. “It’s one thing everyone was talking about when we first came into the league but you didn’t realize that back then. Time is going to fly by … and there’s not so many chances left. You just have to enjoy it and try to win.”
Henrik noted that the Canucks’ core has gathered plenty of postseason experience over their previous runs. That gives Henrik confidence in their preparation, but at the same time he also echoed his brother’s remarks.
“Our first couple years, you went into the playoffs and everything was fun, it was a great experience and you learned from it,” Henrik said. “But you never thought about it being your last time around and your last chance. Now you do.”
Of course, there are star players on the San Jose Sharks who likely feel the same way. Captain Joe Thornton is 33 years old and searching for his first Stanley Cup. So is Sharks forward Patrick Marleau.
Both of these teams have been consistently great in the regular season for years, but have fallen short in the playoffs. With time running out for both dynasties, there should be a lot of passion in this series.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 43
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 66
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 14
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 73
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)