Apr 29, 2013, 2:09 PM EST
That was the story out of Buffalo on Monday as GM Darcy Regier and president Ted Black addressed the media, with Black confirming Regier would be back for his 17th year on the job.
Regier, the Sabres GM since Jun. 1997, was thought to be on thin ice after disastrous back-to-back campaigns.
The Sabres haven’t been to the playoffs since 2010 and a number of Regier’s high-profile acquisitions have failed to pan out.
In fact, it could be said things have gotten progressively worse as Regier’s tenure has gone on.
This season marked a series of lows for the Buffalo organization:
— Longtime head coach Lindy Ruff was fired
— Captain Jason Pominville was traded
— Former Vezina-winning goalie Ryan Miller was visibly frustrated throughout the year
But, for lack of a betterm term, Regier now has a chance to clean up his own mess.
He’ll head into the 2013 NHL Entry Draft armed with two first- and second-round picks, and also has the opportunity to either extend the contract of interim head coach Ron Rolston — or go in another direction.
On Monday, Regier said he will meet with Rolston soon to evaluate the season and decide what direction the Sabres want to take behind the bench.
Rolston finished the year with a pretty decent record (15-11-5) and said he’d like the opportunity to come back and build on what he started.
“I think we’ve made progress,” Rolston told the Buffalo News. “I’m not happy that we’re not in the playoffs. We needed to do a better job there, but we made some progress I think as a team. We played better down the stretch in terms of the success that we’ve had.”
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 0
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 16
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 5
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 73
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (75)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)