Apr 29, 2013, 9:54 PM EDT
“We expected production from Sergei and Craig Smith and we got none,” Trotz told the Examiner.com.
“Both those guys, we were looking at them to be top-six, top-seven forwards and we got no production. Craig Smith and Sergei were on power plays all year. I did it to try to get them going. I tried different things to get those guys going.
“I knew that we needed them because we score by committee and we had some committee members that didn’t get ‘er done.”
The 26-year-old Kostitsyn, who has one more year left on his two-year $6 million contact after this season, had just three goals and 15 points in 46 games.
Smith, 23, experienced a downturn in his second NHL season, scoring only four times and 12 points.
Those two players were part of the overwhelming problem, and that was the Predators, ravaged by injuries, had trouble scoring goals.
They finished at the bottom of the NHL, along with the Florida Panthers, in goals-for per game at 2.27.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)