Apr 29, 2013, 9:54 PM EDT
“We expected production from Sergei and Craig Smith and we got none,” Trotz told the Examiner.com.
“Both those guys, we were looking at them to be top-six, top-seven forwards and we got no production. Craig Smith and Sergei were on power plays all year. I did it to try to get them going. I tried different things to get those guys going.
“I knew that we needed them because we score by committee and we had some committee members that didn’t get ‘er done.”
The 26-year-old Kostitsyn, who has one more year left on his two-year $6 million contact after this season, had just three goals and 15 points in 46 games.
Smith, 23, experienced a downturn in his second NHL season, scoring only four times and 12 points.
Those two players were part of the overwhelming problem, and that was the Predators, ravaged by injuries, had trouble scoring goals.
They finished at the bottom of the NHL, along with the Florida Panthers, in goals-for per game at 2.27.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 28
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 41
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 29
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 59
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6