Apr 29, 2013, 9:54 PM EDT
“We expected production from Sergei and Craig Smith and we got none,” Trotz told the Examiner.com.
“Both those guys, we were looking at them to be top-six, top-seven forwards and we got no production. Craig Smith and Sergei were on power plays all year. I did it to try to get them going. I tried different things to get those guys going.
“I knew that we needed them because we score by committee and we had some committee members that didn’t get ‘er done.”
The 26-year-old Kostitsyn, who has one more year left on his two-year $6 million contact after this season, had just three goals and 15 points in 46 games.
Smith, 23, experienced a downturn in his second NHL season, scoring only four times and 12 points.
Those two players were part of the overwhelming problem, and that was the Predators, ravaged by injuries, had trouble scoring goals.
They finished at the bottom of the NHL, along with the Florida Panthers, in goals-for per game at 2.27.
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 16
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 24
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 34
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)