Apr 29, 2013, 1:17 PM EDT
Edmonton Oilers forward Nail Yakupov made a strong push for Calder Trophy consideration on Monday by capturing the NHL’s rookie of the month award for April.
Yakupov, 19, scored in seven of 14 games during the month, including his first career hat trick in a 7-2 whipping of Vancouver on Saturday.
All told, the Russian winger scored 11G-4A-15PTS in 14 April games, edging out the likes of Montreal’s Alex Galchenyuk (6G, 6A), Calgary’s Sven Baertschi (3G, 8A) and Chicago’s Brandon Saad (4G, 4A) for the monthly honors.
On the year, Yakupov finished atop the NHL’s rookie scoring leaderboard for the season, tied with Florida’s Jonathan Huberdeau with 31 points through 48 games.
He also captured the league’s rookie goalscoring title as well — his 17 markers were two more than Montreal’s Brendan Gallagher, who finished with 15.
Here’s a rundown of all the rookie of the month winners this season:
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 34
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)