Apr 29, 2013, 11:48 PM EST
The Colorado Avalanche won the first overall pick in this year’s NHL Draft Lottery on Monday, and it’s looking as though that team will have a good, long look at taking Seth Jones with the No. 1 selection.
“This gives us a chance to improve our club and add to a strong group of young players,” said the Avalanche’s director of amateur scouting Rick Pracey.
“(Jones) is interesting, unique to our market. … Clearly he’s a name that we’re discussing, and we look forward to sitting down with him and getting to know him better.”
Jones, a defenseman for the Portland Winterhawks in the Western Hockey League and the top-ranked prospect by NHL’s Central Scouting Bureau heading into the draft, also has family ties to Denver.
His father, Popeye Jones, played for the Denver Nuggets in the NBA.
For the Avalanche, Monday’s lottery win is big news for the franchise, which finished last in the Western Conference standings.
“Clearly, given the talent we have on this team right now, we’re adding another elite prospect to the solid foundation that we have,” Avalanche general manager Greg Sherman told NHL.com.
“It is certainly a big day for the franchise; it’s a big night for our fans and we’re very excited about the outcome tonight.”
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 1
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)