Apr 29, 2013, 11:48 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche won the first overall pick in this year’s NHL Draft Lottery on Monday, and it’s looking as though that team will have a good, long look at taking Seth Jones with the No. 1 selection.
“This gives us a chance to improve our club and add to a strong group of young players,” said the Avalanche’s director of amateur scouting Rick Pracey.
“(Jones) is interesting, unique to our market. … Clearly he’s a name that we’re discussing, and we look forward to sitting down with him and getting to know him better.”
Jones, a defenseman for the Portland Winterhawks in the Western Hockey League and the top-ranked prospect by NHL’s Central Scouting Bureau heading into the draft, also has family ties to Denver.
His father, Popeye Jones, played for the Denver Nuggets in the NBA.
For the Avalanche, Monday’s lottery win is big news for the franchise, which finished last in the Western Conference standings.
“Clearly, given the talent we have on this team right now, we’re adding another elite prospect to the solid foundation that we have,” Avalanche general manager Greg Sherman told NHL.com.
“It is certainly a big day for the franchise; it’s a big night for our fans and we’re very excited about the outcome tonight.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)