Apr 29, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT
Joe Nieuwendyk’s tenure as the Dallas Stars’ general manager is over, but he doesn’t sound like a guy that has a lot of regrets.
“I’m very proud of what we accomplished,” he said in a Dallas Morning News report. “I know you get measured on getting to the playoffs and challenging for Stanley Cups, but I feel we’ve made a lot of progress in four years. I feel good about this group of players moving forward.”
Nieuwendyk isn’t sure what he learned during his time as a general manager.
“I think I’m proud of the tract that my morals and values were unwavering through it all,” he added. “I believe in doing the right thing and treating people with respect, and at the end of the Spector think I had the respect of my players and co-workers. I think we were a good team together.”
Dallas has gone five seasons without a postseason berth, but they do have some great young players, most notably Jamie Benn. Jim Nill will assume Nieuwendyk’s old post and his background as a scout should help him continue the Stars’ rebuilding efforts even as they try to end their playoffs drought in the near future.
Nill had been serving as the Detroit Red Wings assistant GM before he accepted Stars owner Tom Gaglardi’s offer.
“I think a GM with a history in scouting certainly has a leg up, and I think anyone who has been around that kind of success also has a head start,” Gaglardi said. “He’s been at the epicenter of one of the best franchises in hockey for nearly two decades, I think he’s an extremely qualified individual.”
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury 5
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 25
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)