Apr 29, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT
Joe Nieuwendyk’s tenure as the Dallas Stars’ general manager is over, but he doesn’t sound like a guy that has a lot of regrets.
“I’m very proud of what we accomplished,” he said in a Dallas Morning News report. “I know you get measured on getting to the playoffs and challenging for Stanley Cups, but I feel we’ve made a lot of progress in four years. I feel good about this group of players moving forward.”
Nieuwendyk isn’t sure what he learned during his time as a general manager.
“I think I’m proud of the tract that my morals and values were unwavering through it all,” he added. “I believe in doing the right thing and treating people with respect, and at the end of the Spector think I had the respect of my players and co-workers. I think we were a good team together.”
Dallas has gone five seasons without a postseason berth, but they do have some great young players, most notably Jamie Benn. Jim Nill will assume Nieuwendyk’s old post and his background as a scout should help him continue the Stars’ rebuilding efforts even as they try to end their playoffs drought in the near future.
Nill had been serving as the Detroit Red Wings assistant GM before he accepted Stars owner Tom Gaglardi’s offer.
“I think a GM with a history in scouting certainly has a leg up, and I think anyone who has been around that kind of success also has a head start,” Gaglardi said. “He’s been at the epicenter of one of the best franchises in hockey for nearly two decades, I think he’s an extremely qualified individual.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 5
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 25
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)