Apr 29, 2013, 10:34 PM EST
New Jersey Devils’ goalie Martin Brodeur turns 41 years of age on May 6, and he has one year remaining on his contract after the 2013 season.
But, from the sounds of it, there’s still a lot of hockey left in the future Hall-of-Famer. His comments made Monday suggest he may look to prolong his playing career past this current deal – a two-year, $9 million contract – and that may include signing a contract extension with the Devils.
As he says: “…who knows?”
“It’s the last year on my contract and that’s about it. This year, even though we didn’t make the playoffs, I had a great time playing the game,” Brodeur told northjersey.com.
“I really had a good time competing at the level I wanted to compete (at) and if it stays like that and I’m still having fun, who knows that’s going to happen? I’m not putting a decision in my mind.
“Two, three years ago, it was harder to make that decision, but now, for whatever reason, I don’t know if it’s the way the game is here, I really enjoy we have a chance to win every single game and the coaches make it fun to come to the rink.”
Brodeur, who helped guide New Jersey to an appearance in the Stanley Cup Final last year, played in 29 of the Devils’ 48 games this season.
He posted a 13-9-7 record. He also has a career regular season record of 669-380-105 record.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)