Apr 29, 2013, 10:34 PM EDT
New Jersey Devils’ goalie Martin Brodeur turns 41 years of age on May 6, and he has one year remaining on his contract after the 2013 season.
But, from the sounds of it, there’s still a lot of hockey left in the future Hall-of-Famer. His comments made Monday suggest he may look to prolong his playing career past this current deal – a two-year, $9 million contract – and that may include signing a contract extension with the Devils.
As he says: “…who knows?”
“It’s the last year on my contract and that’s about it. This year, even though we didn’t make the playoffs, I had a great time playing the game,” Brodeur told northjersey.com.
“I really had a good time competing at the level I wanted to compete (at) and if it stays like that and I’m still having fun, who knows that’s going to happen? I’m not putting a decision in my mind.
“Two, three years ago, it was harder to make that decision, but now, for whatever reason, I don’t know if it’s the way the game is here, I really enjoy we have a chance to win every single game and the coaches make it fun to come to the rink.”
Brodeur, who helped guide New Jersey to an appearance in the Stanley Cup Final last year, played in 29 of the Devils’ 48 games this season.
He posted a 13-9-7 record. He also has a career regular season record of 669-380-105 record.
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 14
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 10
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 11
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 96
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (96)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)