Apr 29, 2013, 10:34 PM EST
New Jersey Devils’ goalie Martin Brodeur turns 41 years of age on May 6, and he has one year remaining on his contract after the 2013 season.
But, from the sounds of it, there’s still a lot of hockey left in the future Hall-of-Famer. His comments made Monday suggest he may look to prolong his playing career past this current deal – a two-year, $9 million contract – and that may include signing a contract extension with the Devils.
As he says: “…who knows?”
“It’s the last year on my contract and that’s about it. This year, even though we didn’t make the playoffs, I had a great time playing the game,” Brodeur told northjersey.com.
“I really had a good time competing at the level I wanted to compete (at) and if it stays like that and I’m still having fun, who knows that’s going to happen? I’m not putting a decision in my mind.
“Two, three years ago, it was harder to make that decision, but now, for whatever reason, I don’t know if it’s the way the game is here, I really enjoy we have a chance to win every single game and the coaches make it fun to come to the rink.”
Brodeur, who helped guide New Jersey to an appearance in the Stanley Cup Final last year, played in 29 of the Devils’ 48 games this season.
He posted a 13-9-7 record. He also has a career regular season record of 669-380-105 record.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 23
- Mike Richards clears waivers 29
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)