Apr 29, 2013, 10:34 PM EDT
New Jersey Devils’ goalie Martin Brodeur turns 41 years of age on May 6, and he has one year remaining on his contract after the 2013 season.
But, from the sounds of it, there’s still a lot of hockey left in the future Hall-of-Famer. His comments made Monday suggest he may look to prolong his playing career past this current deal – a two-year, $9 million contract – and that may include signing a contract extension with the Devils.
As he says: “…who knows?”
“It’s the last year on my contract and that’s about it. This year, even though we didn’t make the playoffs, I had a great time playing the game,” Brodeur told northjersey.com.
“I really had a good time competing at the level I wanted to compete (at) and if it stays like that and I’m still having fun, who knows that’s going to happen? I’m not putting a decision in my mind.
“Two, three years ago, it was harder to make that decision, but now, for whatever reason, I don’t know if it’s the way the game is here, I really enjoy we have a chance to win every single game and the coaches make it fun to come to the rink.”
Brodeur, who helped guide New Jersey to an appearance in the Stanley Cup Final last year, played in 29 of the Devils’ 48 games this season.
He posted a 13-9-7 record. He also has a career regular season record of 669-380-105 record.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)