Apr 29, 2013, 10:34 PM EDT
New Jersey Devils’ goalie Martin Brodeur turns 41 years of age on May 6, and he has one year remaining on his contract after the 2013 season.
But, from the sounds of it, there’s still a lot of hockey left in the future Hall-of-Famer. His comments made Monday suggest he may look to prolong his playing career past this current deal – a two-year, $9 million contract – and that may include signing a contract extension with the Devils.
As he says: “…who knows?”
“It’s the last year on my contract and that’s about it. This year, even though we didn’t make the playoffs, I had a great time playing the game,” Brodeur told northjersey.com.
“I really had a good time competing at the level I wanted to compete (at) and if it stays like that and I’m still having fun, who knows that’s going to happen? I’m not putting a decision in my mind.
“Two, three years ago, it was harder to make that decision, but now, for whatever reason, I don’t know if it’s the way the game is here, I really enjoy we have a chance to win every single game and the coaches make it fun to come to the rink.”
Brodeur, who helped guide New Jersey to an appearance in the Stanley Cup Final last year, played in 29 of the Devils’ 48 games this season.
He posted a 13-9-7 record. He also has a career regular season record of 669-380-105 record.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)