Apr 29, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT
Four starts, four wins and a playoff berth.
All in a week’s work for Jimmy Howard.
On Monday, Howard was named the NHL’s first star of the week after posting a 4-0-0 record, 0.75 GAA, .969 save percentage and two shutouts, paving the way for Detroit to capture its 22nd consecutive postseason appearance.
The 29-year-old blanked the Phoenix Coyotes, allowed one goal against the defending Stanley Cup champion Kings, allowed two goals against the Predators then blanked Dallas in the season finale, which guaranteed the Wins a playoff spot.
So, no real surprise he won first star.
There wasn’t much surprise about the second star of the week, either — it was Howard’s teammate, Henrik Zetterberg.
The Detroit captain was equally vital to the playoff push, scoring 2G-8A-10PTS during the four-game winning streak. He also led the NHL in power-play points (five) and finished second with a plus-6 rating.
Zetterberg finished the season ranked second on the Wings in points (48) while leading the club with 37 assists.
Yakupov scored an NHL-best six goals in four games to help the Oilers finish the season with a pair of victories, which included his first-career hat trick in a 7-2 triumph over Vancouver.
The 19-year-old Russian finished the year tied for the rookie scoring lead (31 points) and captured the rookie goalscoring title (17 goals).
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)