Apr 29, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche have won the NHL Draft Lottery, the first in league history where all 14 participants had a shot at the No. 1 overall pick.
As such, the Avs now hold the right to select first at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, to be held on June 30 at the Prudential Center in New Jersey.
Colorado came into the lottery with the second-best odds of winning, at 18.8 percent.
With the win, the Avs now have their choice of prospects in what’s been described as a top-heavy draft class.
The consensus No. 1, according to the NHL’s Central Scouting Bureau, is Seth Jones, the WHL Portland defenseman that starred with Team USA at the 2013 World Junior tournament.
Jones is familiar with the Denver area (his father, ex-NBAer Popeye Jones, spent one season playing for the Nuggets) and played with both the Littleton Hawks and Colorado Thunderbirds as a youth.
The 18-year-old also grew up a big Avalanche fan.
“When they won the Cup in 2001, that was real exciting and definitely got me more into it,” Jones told the Denver Post. “I went to a ton of Avs games.
“Just getting to watch such great players like Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg and Patrick Roy and all the others in person like I did was great and a huge influence on me.”
Of course, it isn’t a guarantee that Colorado will select Jones. Right behind him in the draft rankings is Nathan MacKinnon, the Quebec League scoring sensation from Halifax.
Sitting third in the rankings is MacKinnon’s teammate, Jonathan Drouin, who scored a whopping 105 points in 49 QMJHL games this season.
Here is the full order of picks:
14th — Columbus (stayed same)
13th — Winnipeg (stayed same)
12th — Phoenix (stayed same)
11th — Philadelphia (stayed same)
10th — Dallas (stayed same)
9th — New Jersey (stayed same)
8th — Buffalo (stayed same)
7th — Edmonton (stayed same)
6th — Calgary Flames (stayed same)
5th — Carolina (stayed same)
4th — Nashville (stayed same)
3rd — Tampa Bay (stayed same)
2nd — Florida Panthers (move down one spot)
1st — Colorado (moved up one spot)
Of note, this marks the fourth time the Nordiques/Avalanche franchise has chosen first overall, but the first since the move to Colorado.
Quebec selected Mats Sundin (1989), Owen Nolan (1990) and Eric Lindros (1991) with the No. 1 pick before moving to Denver in 1995.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
It would have been an incredible goal.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
Canucks coach Willie Desjardins fought against the idea that Dallas got lucky last night.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT
Maybe this is what Philadelphia needs.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:56 AM EDT
Yes, there was a goaltender in net.
Oct 22, 2014, 2:15 AM EDT
“We’re not sharp mentally.”
Oct 22, 2014, 1:40 AM EDT
Wonder if the Devils fan behind him was a face-painter?
Oct 22, 2014, 1:11 AM EDT
Had the lead going into the third period.
Oct 22, 2014, 12:35 AM EDT
Do a little dance. Make some big saves. Shut out tonight.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:56 PM EDT
Toronto took this one over in the second period.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
Is a call from the league next?
Oct 21, 2014, 10:54 PM EDT
David Desharnais with his first of the season.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT
No call on that play.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
It’s gone from bad to worse for Vancouver.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Happened on an innocent enough play.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Outplayed Philly big time in first period.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
Bet that felt good.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Thought to be in against Chicago, but no.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
NHL Insider analyzes what the future has in store for the L.A. defenseman.
Oct 21, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT
Check it out via the NBC Live Extra stream.
Oct 21, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
“Nathan is a frustrated kid right now. He’s in constant pain.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 8
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)