Apr 29, 2013, 8:25 PM EST
The Colorado Avalanche have won the NHL Draft Lottery, the first in league history where all 14 participants had a shot at the No. 1 overall pick.
As such, the Avs now hold the right to select first at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, to be held on June 30 at the Prudential Center in New Jersey.
Colorado came into the lottery with the second-best odds of winning, at 18.8 percent.
With the win, the Avs now have their choice of prospects in what’s been described as a top-heavy draft class.
The consensus No. 1, according to the NHL’s Central Scouting Bureau, is Seth Jones, the WHL Portland defenseman that starred with Team USA at the 2013 World Junior tournament.
Jones is familiar with the Denver area (his father, ex-NBAer Popeye Jones, spent one season playing for the Nuggets) and played with both the Littleton Hawks and Colorado Thunderbirds as a youth.
The 18-year-old also grew up a big Avalanche fan.
“When they won the Cup in 2001, that was real exciting and definitely got me more into it,” Jones told the Denver Post. “I went to a ton of Avs games.
“Just getting to watch such great players like Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg and Patrick Roy and all the others in person like I did was great and a huge influence on me.”
Of course, it isn’t a guarantee that Colorado will select Jones. Right behind him in the draft rankings is Nathan MacKinnon, the Quebec League scoring sensation from Halifax.
Sitting third in the rankings is MacKinnon’s teammate, Jonathan Drouin, who scored a whopping 105 points in 49 QMJHL games this season.
Here is the full order of picks:
14th — Columbus (stayed same)
13th — Winnipeg (stayed same)
12th — Phoenix (stayed same)
11th — Philadelphia (stayed same)
10th — Dallas (stayed same)
9th — New Jersey (stayed same)
8th — Buffalo (stayed same)
7th — Edmonton (stayed same)
6th — Calgary Flames (stayed same)
5th — Carolina (stayed same)
4th — Nashville (stayed same)
3rd — Tampa Bay (stayed same)
2nd — Florida Panthers (move down one spot)
1st — Colorado (moved up one spot)
Of note, this marks the fourth time the Nordiques/Avalanche franchise has chosen first overall, but the first since the move to Colorado.
Quebec selected Mats Sundin (1989), Owen Nolan (1990) and Eric Lindros (1991) with the No. 1 pick before moving to Denver in 1995.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:36 PM EST
11 in total, eclipsing the old mark by one.
Jan 25, 2015, 6:43 PM EST
Chicago will resume play on Wednesday against Los Angeles.
Jan 25, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
Johansen scored again before the first period ended.
Jan 25, 2015, 5:43 PM EST
Vancouver forward gets Team Foligno on the board early.
Jan 25, 2015, 4:58 PM EST
A grab bag of fun as the game rapidly approaches.
Jan 25, 2015, 4:30 PM EST
It’s the 2015 NHL All-Star Game from Nationwide Arena in Columbus, on NBCSN.
Jan 25, 2015, 3:33 PM EST
Team Foligno and Team Toews square off.
Jan 25, 2015, 3:20 PM EST
He’ll probably be OK.
Jan 25, 2015, 2:02 PM EST
The bubble seems limited, at least.
Jan 25, 2015, 12:48 PM EST
He has more control over his chances in the All-Star Game itself.
Jan 25, 2015, 11:54 AM EST
Maybe we should ease up on the guy.
Jan 25, 2015, 10:50 AM EST
A rare opportunity sidetracked by his groin injury.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
It sounds like he won’t face the same headaches as others who skipped the event.
Jan 24, 2015, 10:03 PM EST
See you all tomorrow.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:41 PM EST
Florida’s All-Star goalie never gave up on it.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:14 PM EST
Just 0.3 away from Zdeno Chara’s all-time record.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:09 PM EST
Jan 24, 2015, 8:34 PM EST
Team Foligno running away with this.
Jan 24, 2015, 8:21 PM EST
That’s an all-time screencap right there.
Jan 24, 2015, 7:55 PM EST
Team Foligno sweeps first competition.
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 0
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 19
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)