Apr 29, 2013, 11:12 PM EDT
Washington Capitals forward Joel Ward skated Monday, as per Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington.
Could he make an appearance in the Eastern Conference quarter-final against the New York Rangers, when that series begins on Thursday?
“I still think he needs practice,” Capitals head coach Adam Oates told CSN Washington.
“I don’t want to put him in without getting any time on the ice. I think it’s been too long. A couple practices will sure help.”
Ward, the Capitals’ 32-year-old winger who had eight goals and 20 points this season, hasn’t played since April 7, when he blocked a Sami Salo slap shot (according to this Washington Post article from April 9).
There was also an update on injured Washington forward Brooks Laich, who, according to numerous reports, underwent sports hernia surgery earlier this month.
“He’s on the way to recovery right now and as soon as he can recover we’ll get him in,” Oates told the Washington Post. “You know how he is, he’s trying as hard as he can to get there and we’ve just got to be careful.”
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 2
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 22
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)