Apr 29, 2013, 11:12 PM EST
Washington Capitals forward Joel Ward skated Monday, as per Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington.
Could he make an appearance in the Eastern Conference quarter-final against the New York Rangers, when that series begins on Thursday?
“I still think he needs practice,” Capitals head coach Adam Oates told CSN Washington.
“I don’t want to put him in without getting any time on the ice. I think it’s been too long. A couple practices will sure help.”
Ward, the Capitals’ 32-year-old winger who had eight goals and 20 points this season, hasn’t played since April 7, when he blocked a Sami Salo slap shot (according to this Washington Post article from April 9).
There was also an update on injured Washington forward Brooks Laich, who, according to numerous reports, underwent sports hernia surgery earlier this month.
“He’s on the way to recovery right now and as soon as he can recover we’ll get him in,” Oates told the Washington Post. “You know how he is, he’s trying as hard as he can to get there and we’ve just got to be careful.”
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 48
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (140)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)