Apr 29, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Even if you still consider the Boston Bruins legitimate Stanley Cup contenders — and, yes, you probably should — you can’t deny the fact they had the worst record of each of the 16 playoff teams in their last 10 games of the regular season (3-5-2).
And as CSN New England’s Joe Haggerty points out, the last Boston victory over a playoff team came all the way back on April 2, when the B’s beat the Ottawa Senators at TD Garden.
The last time they beat a playoff team on the road was March 21, also against the Senators.
Not that the Bruins didn’t have excuses. The Boston Marathon bombing and manhunt forced two game postponements, not to mention all the anxiety.
And the B’s already had a busy last half of the shortened season on the schedule; they ended up playing 31 games in 59 days in March and April.
There were also injuries to key players, plus a handful of games where they outshot their opponents but just couldn’t finish on their chances.
“The last couple of games we’ve done some good things, and we’ve been more physical,” said B’s defenseman Johnny Boychuck. “We’ve had not as many turnovers at the blue line, which was a key. We had a lot of scoring chances. In playoffs we will make sure to put them in the net…and that’s the goal.”
Ready or not, Boston opens the playoffs Wednesday against the Maple Leafs at TD Garden.
Toronto, by the way, wasn’t exactly red-hot down the stretch either. The Leafs finished with four regulation losses in their last six and only managed to outshoot one of their final 13 opponents.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
“I can see, thank God, I can see,” he reportedly said.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
She reportedly hasn’t spoken to police since being released from the hospital.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
It was the game-winner, too.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
Semyon Varlamov’s first win of 2014-15 and Colorado’s first home victory.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Actually, Taylor Hall probably deserves the most credit for Edmonton’s highlight goal.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:12 PM EDT
Somehow the latter fight didn’t leave a crater in the ice.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars get the extra point.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
Injuries continue to … strike Tampa Bay.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Update: Vladislav Namestnikov was credited with the last goal.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
On the bright side, Michael Grabner may resume skating soon.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT
Unfortunately, Tampa Bay might face another injury in J.T. Brown.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
They send their 2014 first-rounder to the OHL.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
San Jose’s enjoyed such center depth before.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
Tough times lately for St. Louis.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Highly-touted rearguard on his way to the bigs.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Hey, maybe the NHL should try 3-on-3 overtime.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Speaking from experience.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
Returns to the Cardiff team he played for during the lockout.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:32 PM EDT
All the news and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 24, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
“Anytime you go personal with family…to me, that’s very disrespectful to the player and our profession.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)