Apr 28, 2013, 9:42 AM EDT
The race for the rookie scoring title came down to a race between Edmonton’s Nail Yakupov and Florida’s Jonathan Huberdeau and both closed out the year in big ways. They also closed it out tied atop the stat board.
Huberdeau tallied three assists for Florida as the Panthers cruised to a 5-3 win over rival Tampa Bay. He assisted on both of Tomas Fleischmann‘s goals as well as Marcel Goc‘s empty netter that sealed the victory. The three helpers gave him 17 on the year and 31 points in all.
Yakupov did things in much grander fashion scoring his first career hat trick in helping the Oilers beat and frustrate Roberto Luongo and the Canucks 7-2. All three goals came during Edmonton’s six-goal outburst in the third period that blew things wide open and caused Luongo to blow off reporters following the game.
The three goals gave Yakupov 17 on the year to win the rookie goal-scoring title but tied him with Huberdeau in points. Both players have compelling cases for the Calder Trophy as rookie of the year. They’ll be competing with the likes of Brendan Gallagher, Alex Galchenyuk, Cory Conacher, and Jonas Brodin for that award.
Here’s video of Yakupov’s hat trick last night in case you missed it:
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)