Apr 28, 2013, 9:42 AM EDT
The race for the rookie scoring title came down to a race between Edmonton’s Nail Yakupov and Florida’s Jonathan Huberdeau and both closed out the year in big ways. They also closed it out tied atop the stat board.
Huberdeau tallied three assists for Florida as the Panthers cruised to a 5-3 win over rival Tampa Bay. He assisted on both of Tomas Fleischmann‘s goals as well as Marcel Goc‘s empty netter that sealed the victory. The three helpers gave him 17 on the year and 31 points in all.
Yakupov did things in much grander fashion scoring his first career hat trick in helping the Oilers beat and frustrate Roberto Luongo and the Canucks 7-2. All three goals came during Edmonton’s six-goal outburst in the third period that blew things wide open and caused Luongo to blow off reporters following the game.
The three goals gave Yakupov 17 on the year to win the rookie goal-scoring title but tied him with Huberdeau in points. Both players have compelling cases for the Calder Trophy as rookie of the year. They’ll be competing with the likes of Brendan Gallagher, Alex Galchenyuk, Cory Conacher, and Jonas Brodin for that award.
Here’s video of Yakupov’s hat trick last night in case you missed it:
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)