Apr 28, 2013, 3:56 PM EST
Oilers defenseman Ryan Whitney is set to be an unrestricted free agent this summer and given what he said today on the team’s locker clean-out day, he’s eager to get moving.
Whitney gave the assembled media at Rexall Place a rather juicy soundbyte on his way out of town saying, “I’m not going to name any names, but there were definitely some other guys who could have been scratched.”
Yikes. He had been a healthy scratch in the team’s last three games.
Whitney struggled with injuries again this season playing in 34 of 48 games this season putting up four goals and nine assists with a plus/minus rating of minus-7.
It’s no secret the Oilers defense struggled, but they had a steady corps of players in Justin Schultz, Nick Schultz, Ladislav Smid, and Jeff Petry who played all 48 games. Corey Potter and Mark Fistric were in Whitney’s company on the blue line playing 33 and 25 games respectively.
After that sound-off, however, you wonder if Whitney took off from Edmonton making like Homer Simpson in the process.
Update (4:26 p.m. ET): Turns out it’s not quite that way as Whitney made it clear (in a nice way) he won’t be back in Edmonton via Twitter.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 36
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 39
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 8
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)