Apr 28, 2013, 3:56 PM EDT
Oilers defenseman Ryan Whitney is set to be an unrestricted free agent this summer and given what he said today on the team’s locker clean-out day, he’s eager to get moving.
Whitney gave the assembled media at Rexall Place a rather juicy soundbyte on his way out of town saying, “I’m not going to name any names, but there were definitely some other guys who could have been scratched.”
Yikes. He had been a healthy scratch in the team’s last three games.
Whitney struggled with injuries again this season playing in 34 of 48 games this season putting up four goals and nine assists with a plus/minus rating of minus-7.
It’s no secret the Oilers defense struggled, but they had a steady corps of players in Justin Schultz, Nick Schultz, Ladislav Smid, and Jeff Petry who played all 48 games. Corey Potter and Mark Fistric were in Whitney’s company on the blue line playing 33 and 25 games respectively.
After that sound-off, however, you wonder if Whitney took off from Edmonton making like Homer Simpson in the process.
Update (4:26 p.m. ET): Turns out it’s not quite that way as Whitney made it clear (in a nice way) he won’t be back in Edmonton via Twitter.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 16
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 22
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 88
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 70
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 167
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (88)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)