Apr 28, 2013, 9:47 PM EDT
For at least one round, the Ottawa Senators will avoid the East’s juggernaut in the Pittsburgh Penguins. Not all of Canada might be happy, though, as Sunday’s 4-2 Senators win against the Boston Bruins takes a fascinating Montreal Canadiens-Toronto Maple Leafs series off the table.*
Robin Lehner was the star of the show, stopping 34 out of 36 shots for his fifth win of the season (avoiding a Bruins season sweep of the Sens in the process). Little-known forward Jean-Gabriel Pageau scored the game-winner and also collected an assist.
This regulation loss hands the Northeast Division title to the Canadiens. They probably won’t pat the Senators on the back for too long, however, as they’ll host Ottawa in the second vs. seventh seed series.
Meanwhile, the Bruins stay seated in the fourth seed, drawing the Maple Leafs in the process. It might not have the pizzazz of Habs-Leafs, yet the Bruins and Leafs have a robust rivalry in their own right.
Then again, Canada still gets a clash to delight in, as that Habs-Sens series should provide plenty of venom in its own right.
More on the playoff matchups soon. In the meantime, enjoy highlights:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
* – For now?
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 2
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 66
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)