Apr 28, 2013, 9:47 PM EDT
For at least one round, the Ottawa Senators will avoid the East’s juggernaut in the Pittsburgh Penguins. Not all of Canada might be happy, though, as Sunday’s 4-2 Senators win against the Boston Bruins takes a fascinating Montreal Canadiens-Toronto Maple Leafs series off the table.*
Robin Lehner was the star of the show, stopping 34 out of 36 shots for his fifth win of the season (avoiding a Bruins season sweep of the Sens in the process). Little-known forward Jean-Gabriel Pageau scored the game-winner and also collected an assist.
This regulation loss hands the Northeast Division title to the Canadiens. They probably won’t pat the Senators on the back for too long, however, as they’ll host Ottawa in the second vs. seventh seed series.
Meanwhile, the Bruins stay seated in the fourth seed, drawing the Maple Leafs in the process. It might not have the pizzazz of Habs-Leafs, yet the Bruins and Leafs have a robust rivalry in their own right.
Then again, Canada still gets a clash to delight in, as that Habs-Sens series should provide plenty of venom in its own right.
More on the playoff matchups soon. In the meantime, enjoy highlights:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
* – For now?
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (146)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)