Apr 28, 2013, 2:19 PM EST
Sabres fans have plenty of reasons to be grumpy with their team after this season, but now they’ve got a reason to be straight-up angry.
John Vogl of The Buffalo News notes the team is raising ticket prices by 4-percent next year and that increase is thanks to… the new Collective Bargaining Agreement? A letter from the team to season ticket holders lays out their reasons for the increase.
“As part of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement with our players, all teams must produce revenue primarily through ticket sales in order to keep the stability of the league and its franchises strong,” John Sinclair, vice president of tickets and services, wrote in the letter.
A four-percent raise isn’t much, but the team did raise prices 12.2% before last season. Meanwhile, owner Terry Pegula pulled back on his optimistic hopes for a Stanley Cup within three years of his purchase of the team and now this. You wonder why Buffalo fans are dour.
Producing revenue through ticket prices is how the business works and the Sabres have traditionally been a team with low prices and that’s something that tends to irk the other owners. Pulling this after a lockout-shortened season where the home team wasn’t in the hunt most of the year is awkward at best. Sending the note out on Fan Appreciation Day makes it all look a lot worse.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (117)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)