Apr 28, 2013, 2:19 PM EDT
Sabres fans have plenty of reasons to be grumpy with their team after this season, but now they’ve got a reason to be straight-up angry.
John Vogl of The Buffalo News notes the team is raising ticket prices by 4-percent next year and that increase is thanks to… the new Collective Bargaining Agreement? A letter from the team to season ticket holders lays out their reasons for the increase.
“As part of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement with our players, all teams must produce revenue primarily through ticket sales in order to keep the stability of the league and its franchises strong,” John Sinclair, vice president of tickets and services, wrote in the letter.
A four-percent raise isn’t much, but the team did raise prices 12.2% before last season. Meanwhile, owner Terry Pegula pulled back on his optimistic hopes for a Stanley Cup within three years of his purchase of the team and now this. You wonder why Buffalo fans are dour.
Producing revenue through ticket prices is how the business works and the Sabres have traditionally been a team with low prices and that’s something that tends to irk the other owners. Pulling this after a lockout-shortened season where the home team wasn’t in the hunt most of the year is awkward at best. Sending the note out on Fan Appreciation Day makes it all look a lot worse.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)