Apr 28, 2013, 5:14 PM EST
Please note that this hasn’t been confirmed, but RDS’ Renaud Lavoie reports that the Dallas Stars will part ways with head coach Glen Gulutzan.
Still, Gulutzan didn’t exactly get a big window of opportunity to work things out.
While fellow fired coach Joe Sacco received four seasons to find a winning formula before being sacked in Colorado, Gulutzan received just two seasons – including this abbreviated one – to ply his trade. He didn’t make it to the postseason in either campaign, but few believed that the Stars were legitimate contenders in 2011-12 or 2013.
Some would say they overachieved each year under the 41-year-old coach.
Regardless of whether it seems fair or not, the bottom line is that the Stars didn’t make the playoffs and the franchise is opting to bring in new blood (assuming this report is accurate). The Dallas Morning News’ Mike Heika named a few potential replacements for Gulutzan earlier this week, if you want to ponder possible options.
Update: TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that a decision won’t be made until he meets up with Nill. Perhaps he still has a chance, then?
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 52
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 86
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 82
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (82)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)