Apr 28, 2013, 12:05 PM EDT
If you’ve been curious about what’s up with Capitals forward Brooks Laich, there may finally be an answer.
According to Katie Carrera of The Washington Post, Laich had surgery for a sports hernia earlier this month and could be ready to return to action if the Caps make the second round of the playoffs. Laich has been dealing with a groin injury most of the season and has played in just nine games this year.
The report says Laich met with a St. Louis-based groin specialist on April 9 and that doctor has also performed sports hernia surgeries on Mike Green and Joel Ward as well. Connecting those dots seems to spell things out clearly as to what his ailment is.
Laich’s brief appearance this season saw him score a goal with four assists over his nine games with the Capitals winning six of those contests. If the Caps can advance past the New York Rangers getting him back would provide a huge lift and give their lines more balance.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 15
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 20
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 65
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 26
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)