Apr 28, 2013, 12:35 AM EST
A red-hot finish fueled Alex Ovechkin‘s surge to his third career Maurice Richard Trophy* on Saturday. Ovechkin finished the 2013 season with 32 goals, edging Steven Stamkos, John Tavares and the rest of the field.
Ovechkin, 27, scored 14 of his 32 tallies in the month of April, breaking the NHL’s record for goals in the month of April. While the lockout aided that goal, it remains a highly impressive run. Overall, Ovechkin scored 24 goals in 29 games since March 1.
Ovechkin has scored at least 32 goals in every season of his eight-year NHL career. He now sits at 371 goals in 601 career regular season games.
The Capitals point out that Ovechkin is the first player in the trophy’s history to win it at least three times. That word is in bold for a reason: the award’s only been around for 13 years. (Wayne Gretzky topped all goal scorers in five different seasons, for example.)
Either way, it’s another great accolade for an offensive force who is enjoying a phenomenal two-month run.
* – Technically, this award victory is unofficial. Jeff Carter poses the greatest threat to Ovechkin’s claim, but the Los Angeles Kings sniper would need six goals to tie him and seven to take it since he began Saturday at 26 tallies.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 10
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 26
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)