Apr 28, 2013, 12:35 AM EST
A red-hot finish fueled Alex Ovechkin‘s surge to his third career Maurice Richard Trophy* on Saturday. Ovechkin finished the 2013 season with 32 goals, edging Steven Stamkos, John Tavares and the rest of the field.
Ovechkin, 27, scored 14 of his 32 tallies in the month of April, breaking the NHL’s record for goals in the month of April. While the lockout aided that goal, it remains a highly impressive run. Overall, Ovechkin scored 24 goals in 29 games since March 1.
Ovechkin has scored at least 32 goals in every season of his eight-year NHL career. He now sits at 371 goals in 601 career regular season games.
The Capitals point out that Ovechkin is the first player in the trophy’s history to win it at least three times. That word is in bold for a reason: the award’s only been around for 13 years. (Wayne Gretzky topped all goal scorers in five different seasons, for example.)
Either way, it’s another great accolade for an offensive force who is enjoying a phenomenal two-month run.
* – Technically, this award victory is unofficial. Jeff Carter poses the greatest threat to Ovechkin’s claim, but the Los Angeles Kings sniper would need six goals to tie him and seven to take it since he began Saturday at 26 tallies.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 12
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 104
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (104)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)