Apr 28, 2013, 12:35 AM EDT
A red-hot finish fueled Alex Ovechkin‘s surge to his third career Maurice Richard Trophy* on Saturday. Ovechkin finished the 2013 season with 32 goals, edging Steven Stamkos, John Tavares and the rest of the field.
Ovechkin, 27, scored 14 of his 32 tallies in the month of April, breaking the NHL’s record for goals in the month of April. While the lockout aided that goal, it remains a highly impressive run. Overall, Ovechkin scored 24 goals in 29 games since March 1.
Ovechkin has scored at least 32 goals in every season of his eight-year NHL career. He now sits at 371 goals in 601 career regular season games.
The Capitals point out that Ovechkin is the first player in the trophy’s history to win it at least three times. That word is in bold for a reason: the award’s only been around for 13 years. (Wayne Gretzky topped all goal scorers in five different seasons, for example.)
Either way, it’s another great accolade for an offensive force who is enjoying a phenomenal two-month run.
* – Technically, this award victory is unofficial. Jeff Carter poses the greatest threat to Ovechkin’s claim, but the Los Angeles Kings sniper would need six goals to tie him and seven to take it since he began Saturday at 26 tallies.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)