Apr 28, 2013, 12:12 AM EST
Martin St. Louis defied the odds as an undrafted player who has developed an outstanding NHL career. Now it appears that he’s also defied the aging process.
St. Louis, 37, became the oldest player to win the Art Ross Trophy by scoring 60 points this season. An NBC SN infographic reveals that Bill Cook was the oldest ever to lead league scoring at 36 (1932-33) while Gordie Howe set the modern mark at 34 by scoring 86 points in 1962-63.
This is the second Art Ross Trophy of St. Louis’ career. His previous one came in the 2003-04 season where he also won the Hart Trophy and the Tampa Bay Lightning’s only Stanley Cup.
Evgeni Malkin was last season’s winner with 109 points.
In case you’re wondering, his 60 points in 48 games is the equivalent to a 103 point season (rounded up). One other in case you’re wondering: Sidney Crosby‘s 56 points in 36 games would translate to 128 points (also rounded up).
Do note that St. Louis isn’t technically the Art Ross winner yet. Here are the scoring leaders from the four teams that are still active, for those who want to imagine ridiculous streaks that invalidate this post:
Deep analysis: St. Louis is probably safe.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)