Apr 28, 2013, 10:03 AM EST
Coming just a point away from booking their first playoffs spot in five seasons could be seen as a brutal letdown but the team President of Hockey Operations John Davidson sees it a little different. He tells The Columbus Dispatch’s Michael Arace that missing out hurts in a good way.
“This hurts, no doubt about it,” Davidson said. “It hurts so bad, but to get to winning, there’s a lot of hurt that goes into it. We put some hurt in, and it sets up part of the foundation we’ve been talking about. I’m so proud of everyone involved.”
Davidson stressed that what the team went through this season will help them grow moving on to the Eastern Conference next season. That kind of growth will be necessary going up against the likes of the Rangers, Devils, Islanders, Flyers, Capitals, Penguins, and Hurricanes.
If they can make a push for the postseason up against some of those monster teams, Davidson will be earning every bit of his keep in Columbus.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 18
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 43
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)