Apr 28, 2013, 10:03 AM EDT
Coming just a point away from booking their first playoffs spot in five seasons could be seen as a brutal letdown but the team President of Hockey Operations John Davidson sees it a little different. He tells The Columbus Dispatch’s Michael Arace that missing out hurts in a good way.
“This hurts, no doubt about it,” Davidson said. “It hurts so bad, but to get to winning, there’s a lot of hurt that goes into it. We put some hurt in, and it sets up part of the foundation we’ve been talking about. I’m so proud of everyone involved.”
Davidson stressed that what the team went through this season will help them grow moving on to the Eastern Conference next season. That kind of growth will be necessary going up against the likes of the Rangers, Devils, Islanders, Flyers, Capitals, Penguins, and Hurricanes.
If they can make a push for the postseason up against some of those monster teams, Davidson will be earning every bit of his keep in Columbus.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)