Apr 28, 2013, 3:06 PM EDT
One guy who takes a lot of heat in Philly for the performance of the Flyers is goalie Ilya Bryzgalov. Today he met with the media at the team’s locker clean-out day, he made sure to let the assembled media know his thoughts on them.
Dave Isaac of the Courier-Post has a collection of the quotes from the Russian netminder who didn’t pull any punches. Here’s a sample of what he had to say.
On being blamed for losses:
“You guys just here to blame someone. You never look yourselves in the mirror, eh? You’re always good. You never make the mistakes. Your articles are always perfect. In reality, what have you done for this city? If you ask yourself, what have you done besides only criticize? Not much.”
On media coverage in Philly:
“It’s just ridiculous. Just ridiculous. Sometimes you’re reading and it’s like, ‘Oh my God, who is this lunatic?’ What are they writing about. It was nothing close to the truth or close to related to hockey. You read this and you’re like, ‘Oh my God, I’ve got to deal with these people every day.’ I’ve said it before, guys. Before you’re writing something you’ve got to read what you’re writing. I’m two years here. I never saw it like good article with everything, like, ‘Flyers lose the game because this, this, this, this, this. They need to improve their game like this, this, this or this.’ I never. That’s what called professionalism. It’s like, ‘OK, this reporter knows hockey. He knows what he talking about.’”
There’s a bit more he had to say but these were the choice quotes.
As for him being bought out of his contract or what moves the team will make in the summer, he says none of that is up to him but he wants to be back. Here’s to hoping he is just so he can try to top this rant again next summer.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 30
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5