Apr 28, 2013, 7:08 PM EDT
Canada defeated the United States 3-2 in the gold medal game for the 2013 IIHF U18 championship in Sochi, Russia on Sunday. America had taken the gold four years in a row before today.
The U.S. went down fighting, however.
Goalie Philippe Desrosiers stopped 33 out of 35 shots while Canada only needed 12 shots for its three tallies. One of those goal scorers was Frederik Gauthier, who had the game-winner. He shared his feelings of elation with IIHF.com.
“Just indescribable, a great feeling,” Gauthier said. “I don’t know what to say. Amazing. One of the best feelings in the world.”
Finland took the bronze medal.
The IIHF handed out the following individual awards:
Best goalie: Jusse Saros (Finland)
Best defenseman: Steve Santini (U.S.)
Best forward: Connor McDavid (Canada)
(Photo via IIHF.com.)
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 45
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)