Apr 28, 2013, 7:08 PM EST
Canada defeated the United States 3-2 in the gold medal game for the 2013 IIHF U18 championship in Sochi, Russia on Sunday. America had taken the gold four years in a row before today.
The U.S. went down fighting, however.
Goalie Philippe Desrosiers stopped 33 out of 35 shots while Canada only needed 12 shots for its three tallies. One of those goal scorers was Frederik Gauthier, who had the game-winner. He shared his feelings of elation with IIHF.com.
“Just indescribable, a great feeling,” Gauthier said. “I don’t know what to say. Amazing. One of the best feelings in the world.”
Finland took the bronze medal.
The IIHF handed out the following individual awards:
Best goalie: Jusse Saros (Finland)
Best defenseman: Steve Santini (U.S.)
Best forward: Connor McDavid (Canada)
(Photo via IIHF.com.)
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 1
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 9
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)