Apr 28, 2013, 7:08 PM EDT
Canada defeated the United States 3-2 in the gold medal game for the 2013 IIHF U18 championship in Sochi, Russia on Sunday. America had taken the gold four years in a row before today.
The U.S. went down fighting, however.
Goalie Philippe Desrosiers stopped 33 out of 35 shots while Canada only needed 12 shots for its three tallies. One of those goal scorers was Frederik Gauthier, who had the game-winner. He shared his feelings of elation with IIHF.com.
“Just indescribable, a great feeling,” Gauthier said. “I don’t know what to say. Amazing. One of the best feelings in the world.”
Finland took the bronze medal.
The IIHF handed out the following individual awards:
Best goalie: Jusse Saros (Finland)
Best defenseman: Steve Santini (U.S.)
Best forward: Connor McDavid (Canada)
(Photo via IIHF.com.)
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 7
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 27
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 16
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)