Apr 28, 2013, 7:08 PM EDT
Canada defeated the United States 3-2 in the gold medal game for the 2013 IIHF U18 championship in Sochi, Russia on Sunday. America had taken the gold four years in a row before today.
The U.S. went down fighting, however.
Goalie Philippe Desrosiers stopped 33 out of 35 shots while Canada only needed 12 shots for its three tallies. One of those goal scorers was Frederik Gauthier, who had the game-winner. He shared his feelings of elation with IIHF.com.
“Just indescribable, a great feeling,” Gauthier said. ”I don’t know what to say. Amazing. One of the best feelings in the world.”
Finland took the bronze medal.
The IIHF handed out the following individual awards:
Best goalie: Jusse Saros (Finland)
Best defenseman: Steve Santini (U.S.)
Best forward: Connor McDavid (Canada)
(Photo via IIHF.com.)
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)