Apr 28, 2013, 7:08 PM EST
Canada defeated the United States 3-2 in the gold medal game for the 2013 IIHF U18 championship in Sochi, Russia on Sunday. America had taken the gold four years in a row before today.
The U.S. went down fighting, however.
Goalie Philippe Desrosiers stopped 33 out of 35 shots while Canada only needed 12 shots for its three tallies. One of those goal scorers was Frederik Gauthier, who had the game-winner. He shared his feelings of elation with IIHF.com.
“Just indescribable, a great feeling,” Gauthier said. ”I don’t know what to say. Amazing. One of the best feelings in the world.”
Finland took the bronze medal.
The IIHF handed out the following individual awards:
Best goalie: Jusse Saros (Finland)
Best defenseman: Steve Santini (U.S.)
Best forward: Connor McDavid (Canada)
(Photo via IIHF.com.)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 33
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 86
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)