Apr 28, 2013, 9:36 PM EST
It almost seems fitting that two teams with almost-as-good goaltending ended up deciding the 2013 William M. Jennings Trophy on Sunday. The Chicago Blackhawks’ surprisingly successful duo of Corey Crawford and Ray Emery won the award for the NHL’s best combined GAA, according to CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers.
A Boston Bruins goal against Ottawa Senators backup Robin Lehner clinched the award for Crawford and Emery.
Goalies must hit a minimum amount of games played to get their name on the trophy. Most years, they’d need to play in 25 games, but Myers explains that the lockout-shortened campaign lowered that threshold to 14 GP.
The Blackhawks finished the season with a combined 2.02 GAA, with Crawford and Emery leading most of the way. (Carter Hutton took one on the chin on Saturday when the Blackhawks basically gave their AHL team a taste of the NHL.)
Let’s glance at the seasons Crawford and Emery enjoyed:
Crawford: 19-5-5, .926 save percentage, 1.94 GAA and three shutouts
Emery: 17-1-0, .922 save percentage, 1.94 GAA and three shutouts
Who saw this coming?
* – Goals against average, in case you were always too ashamed to ask.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:53 AM EST
He endured a rough stretch, but has bounced back recently.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:57 AM EST
He’ll bring experience, but at 43 years old can he also give Florida a boost offensively?
Feb 27, 2015, 8:02 AM EST
Friday’s collection of links.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:16 AM EST
His shutout streak is now at 172:22.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Nino Niederreiter combined skill and good fortune to help his team win.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
Making room for Andrej Sekera.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:30 PM EST
Nice work from Craig Smith and Nino Niederreiter, respectively.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
The possibilities are extensive, it seems.
Feb 26, 2015, 9:55 PM EST
Giving up precious points.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:52 PM EST
Two goals on eight shots was enough to inspire a change.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:37 PM EST
He doesn’t regret signing with Toronto, though he’s welcoming the change.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:12 PM EST
Feb 26, 2015, 8:00 PM EST
Minnesota needs this against one of the West’s best.
Feb 26, 2015, 7:39 PM EST
In other news, it appears as though David Krejci is on LTIR.
Feb 26, 2015, 6:32 PM EST
Canucks requested the league take a closer look, but no evidence was found.
Feb 26, 2015, 6:27 PM EST
Feb 26, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
Head coach Joel Quenneville said it’s “all news to me.”
Feb 26, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
A familiar face goes back to the Toronto organization.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:49 PM EST
Buy hey, you never know.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:39 PM EST
Bold move from Florida GM Dale Tallon.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 11
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 28
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 63
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)