Apr 28, 2013, 9:36 PM EST
It almost seems fitting that two teams with almost-as-good goaltending ended up deciding the 2013 William M. Jennings Trophy on Sunday. The Chicago Blackhawks’ surprisingly successful duo of Corey Crawford and Ray Emery won the award for the NHL’s best combined GAA, according to CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers.
A Boston Bruins goal against Ottawa Senators backup Robin Lehner clinched the award for Crawford and Emery.
Goalies must hit a minimum amount of games played to get their name on the trophy. Most years, they’d need to play in 25 games, but Myers explains that the lockout-shortened campaign lowered that threshold to 14 GP.
The Blackhawks finished the season with a combined 2.02 GAA, with Crawford and Emery leading most of the way. (Carter Hutton took one on the chin on Saturday when the Blackhawks basically gave their AHL team a taste of the NHL.)
Let’s glance at the seasons Crawford and Emery enjoyed:
Crawford: 19-5-5, .926 save percentage, 1.94 GAA and three shutouts
Emery: 17-1-0, .922 save percentage, 1.94 GAA and three shutouts
Who saw this coming?
* – Goals against average, in case you were always too ashamed to ask.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)