Apr 28, 2013, 9:36 PM EDT
It almost seems fitting that two teams with almost-as-good goaltending ended up deciding the 2013 William M. Jennings Trophy on Sunday. The Chicago Blackhawks’ surprisingly successful duo of Corey Crawford and Ray Emery won the award for the NHL’s best combined GAA, according to CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers.
A Boston Bruins goal against Ottawa Senators backup Robin Lehner clinched the award for Crawford and Emery.
Goalies must hit a minimum amount of games played to get their name on the trophy. Most years, they’d need to play in 25 games, but Myers explains that the lockout-shortened campaign lowered that threshold to 14 GP.
The Blackhawks finished the season with a combined 2.02 GAA, with Crawford and Emery leading most of the way. (Carter Hutton took one on the chin on Saturday when the Blackhawks basically gave their AHL team a taste of the NHL.)
Let’s glance at the seasons Crawford and Emery enjoyed:
Crawford: 19-5-5, .926 save percentage, 1.94 GAA and three shutouts
Emery: 17-1-0, .922 save percentage, 1.94 GAA and three shutouts
Who saw this coming?
* – Goals against average, in case you were always too ashamed to ask.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (44)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)