Apr 28, 2013, 1:41 PM EST
Joe Sacco’s run as head coach of the Colorado Avalanche is over.
The team announced they’ve relieved Sacco of his head coaching duties after four years on the job and after yet another disappointing season, the writing was on the wall.
In his tenure as the Avs bench boss, Sacco took the team to the postseason just once during his first season on the job in 2009-10 as the team piled up 95 points in the standings and lost to San Jose in six games in the first round.
Since then it’s been nothing but mediocrity as they’ve missed the playoffs in three straight seasons. The Avs have put up the second-worst record in the league in two of those years.
Sacco’s record in Colorado tops out at 130-134-14 and now he’ll head to Finland and Sweden to coach Team USA in the World Championships. The Avalanche have not announced a replacement as of yet and Sacco may not be the only one out the door as GM Greg Sherman could soon follow.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 56
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (56)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)