Apr 28, 2013, 1:41 PM EST
Joe Sacco’s run as head coach of the Colorado Avalanche is over.
The team announced they’ve relieved Sacco of his head coaching duties after four years on the job and after yet another disappointing season, the writing was on the wall.
In his tenure as the Avs bench boss, Sacco took the team to the postseason just once during his first season on the job in 2009-10 as the team piled up 95 points in the standings and lost to San Jose in six games in the first round.
Since then it’s been nothing but mediocrity as they’ve missed the playoffs in three straight seasons. The Avs have put up the second-worst record in the league in two of those years.
Sacco’s record in Colorado tops out at 130-134-14 and now he’ll head to Finland and Sweden to coach Team USA in the World Championships. The Avalanche have not announced a replacement as of yet and Sacco may not be the only one out the door as GM Greg Sherman could soon follow.
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 2
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 57
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 80
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)