Apr 27, 2013, 12:24 AM EDT
The Minnesota Wild had a chance to clinch a playoff spot Friday in a game against the Edmonton Oilers, a team no longer in playoff contention.
The notion of a post-season berth quickly fell apart, as the Wild were trounced by the Oilers 6-1 on home ice. The Wild trailed by six goals after just 40 minutes, leaving fans to grow a little impatient.
“It was one of the weirdest games I’ve ever played in and obviously one of the most disappointing games I’ve ever been in,” Wild center Matt Cullen told the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “Bottom line, we got spanked in a game we absolutely needed to win.
“We have a Game 7 [Saturday]…This is where you show what you’re made of, this is what careers are made on and these are opportunities that you don’t get very often. … It’s a Game 7 to get to the playoffs.”
The Wild’s impending Game 7 that Cullen referred to is Saturday on the road against the Colorado Avalanche, the bottom team in the Western Conference.
The Wild precariously hold the eighth seed in the West, with 53 points and are tied with the ninth-place Columbus Blue Jackets in points.
Both teams have one game remaining on their respective schedules.
Anyone thinking this will be an easy two points for the Wild – and, if so, how can you after what happened Friday? – best look at what the Avalanche have done on home ice.
The Avalanche have a record of 12-8-3 in front of the home fans. The Wild are 11-11-1 on the road.
The Blue Jackets are at home to face the Nashville Predators.
Mar 9, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT
St. Louis has had Minnesota’s (and the league’s) number lately.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
Los Angeles took its seventh win in a row despite the incident.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Keeping pace with other West powers.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:03 PM EDT
Don’t worry, they won’t join the Washington Generals.
Mar 9, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Impressively, he returned to action in the second period.
Mar 9, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Mar 9, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Patrick Kane comes home.
Mar 9, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
Brian Elliott gets a rare start for St. Louis.
Mar 9, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
It might be due to an Ed Jovanovski hit.
Mar 9, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT
It doesn’t sound great for their would-be starter.
Mar 9, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT
Calgary releases a statement on the matter.
Mar 9, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Mar 9, 2014, 3:57 PM EDT
The appetite to make a change seems to be growing.
Mar 9, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
Detroit has lost its Wild Card spot.
Mar 9, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
The once promising rookie was put on waivers by Ottawa.
Mar 9, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
He’s scored in every New Jersey game since the Olympics.
Mar 9, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
That’s on top of all the talent they traded away.
Mar 9, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Can Johan Franzen maintain his incredible post-Olympics pace?
Mar 9, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
The 21-year-old is making the transition from the KHL.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT
It helped lead St. Louis to its fourth straight win.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)