Apr 27, 2013, 12:24 AM EDT
The Minnesota Wild had a chance to clinch a playoff spot Friday in a game against the Edmonton Oilers, a team no longer in playoff contention.
The notion of a post-season berth quickly fell apart, as the Wild were trounced by the Oilers 6-1 on home ice. The Wild trailed by six goals after just 40 minutes, leaving fans to grow a little impatient.
“It was one of the weirdest games I’ve ever played in and obviously one of the most disappointing games I’ve ever been in,” Wild center Matt Cullen told the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “Bottom line, we got spanked in a game we absolutely needed to win.
“We have a Game 7 [Saturday]…This is where you show what you’re made of, this is what careers are made on and these are opportunities that you don’t get very often. … It’s a Game 7 to get to the playoffs.”
The Wild’s impending Game 7 that Cullen referred to is Saturday on the road against the Colorado Avalanche, the bottom team in the Western Conference.
The Wild precariously hold the eighth seed in the West, with 53 points and are tied with the ninth-place Columbus Blue Jackets in points.
Both teams have one game remaining on their respective schedules.
Anyone thinking this will be an easy two points for the Wild – and, if so, how can you after what happened Friday? – best look at what the Avalanche have done on home ice.
The Avalanche have a record of 12-8-3 in front of the home fans. The Wild are 11-11-1 on the road.
The Blue Jackets are at home to face the Nashville Predators.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT
RFA defenseman appeared in a career-high 76 games last year.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT
Rangers and Bruins let their respective rearguards walk, thereby deepening the free agent pool.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
So says his agent.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:41 PM EDT
Jun 30, 2015, 2:04 PM EDT
Cap hit around $5.75 million.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT
Former first-round pick is relieved after a “stressful” last few days.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Who might be interested?
Jun 30, 2015, 1:14 PM EDT
Former Buffalo forward had three points in six playoff games for Montreal.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
Don Sweeney. Busy man.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
33-year-old had 14 goals and 38 points last year.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT
Six goals in 57 games last season.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:53 AM EDT
More Boston news.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:43 AM EDT
The latest in an ongoing saga.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT
Jun 30, 2015, 10:57 AM EDT
“This doesn’t keep me awake at night. Since the day we got Dougie Hamilton, I’ve had the best sleeps of the past few years. “
Jun 30, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
With Antti Raanta gone, he’s now set as the backup’s backup.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT
26-year-old defenseman has missed just one game over the last two years.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:23 AM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $2.9 million.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
They both finished in the top 10 in minutes in 2014-15.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:57 AM EDT
He made his NHL debut during the 2013-14 campaign before his career was derailed.
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 13
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 35
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 6
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 42
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 89
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)