Apr 27, 2013, 12:24 AM EDT
The Minnesota Wild had a chance to clinch a playoff spot Friday in a game against the Edmonton Oilers, a team no longer in playoff contention.
The notion of a post-season berth quickly fell apart, as the Wild were trounced by the Oilers 6-1 on home ice. The Wild trailed by six goals after just 40 minutes, leaving fans to grow a little impatient.
“It was one of the weirdest games I’ve ever played in and obviously one of the most disappointing games I’ve ever been in,” Wild center Matt Cullen told the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “Bottom line, we got spanked in a game we absolutely needed to win.
“We have a Game 7 [Saturday]…This is where you show what you’re made of, this is what careers are made on and these are opportunities that you don’t get very often. … It’s a Game 7 to get to the playoffs.”
The Wild’s impending Game 7 that Cullen referred to is Saturday on the road against the Colorado Avalanche, the bottom team in the Western Conference.
The Wild precariously hold the eighth seed in the West, with 53 points and are tied with the ninth-place Columbus Blue Jackets in points.
Both teams have one game remaining on their respective schedules.
Anyone thinking this will be an easy two points for the Wild – and, if so, how can you after what happened Friday? – best look at what the Avalanche have done on home ice.
The Avalanche have a record of 12-8-3 in front of the home fans. The Wild are 11-11-1 on the road.
The Blue Jackets are at home to face the Nashville Predators.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Their in Vancouver to face the Canucks on Saturday.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT
Crawford pulled in the first period.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:28 PM EDT
Crawford was pulled late in the first period.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT
That’s a blow to Calgary’s post-season hopes.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Nine points since joining Florida.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Not a great start for Chicago.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:47 PM EDT
The club says he’s expected to make a full recovery.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
New York plays twice this weekend.
Mar 27, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
They play in Philadelphia on Saturday.
Mar 27, 2015, 6:24 PM EDT
Hasn’t played since Feb. 24.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
Terriers move one step closer to the Frozen Four.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT
“In the middle of the ice in our system, it’s a lot of work.”
Mar 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EDT
And, quite possibly, for the remainder of the season.
Mar 27, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT
Nail-biting time for Bruins fans.
Mar 27, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Joins Pavel Datsyuk and Erik Cole on the shelf.
Mar 27, 2015, 2:33 PM EDT
Mar 27, 2015, 2:23 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 27, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
26-15-5 in their last 46 games.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Washington sophomore now $2,000 lighter in the pocket.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Vancouver laid another egg last night versus the Avs.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)