Apr 27, 2013, 9:21 AM EDT
The final two playoff spots in the Western Conference will be decided one way or another tonight. Columbus, Detroit, and Minnesota are vying to book a spot in the postseason and dates with either Anaheim or Chicago.
All three teams play tonight and that means we’ve got scenarios for how each can make the playoffs. If you’re a Columbus fan hoping to see them make the playoffs, you’re going to need a little help. Here’s how things play out:
Detroit: The Red Wings can clinch their 22nd straight playoff appearance by earning a single point tonight against Dallas. The Wings have 54 points and it’s going to take at least one point to clinch a spot for them. If they beat Dallas in any way they’ll lock down the seventh seed and draw Anaheim in the playoffs.
Minnesota: The Wild could’ve made tonight a walk in the park if they’d beaten Edmonton last night. Instead, they got their heads beat in 6-1 and now have to do it all again versus Colorado tonight. Minnesota locks down a playoff spot with a victory of any kind over the Avs. A win and a Detroit loss in regulation puts the Wild in seventh. A regulation loss makes them root hard for Nashville to win in regulation over Columbus.
Columbus: The Jackets are going to be rooting hard for the Stars and Avalanche tonight no matter what. Columbus needs points one way or another over the Predators tonight. A single point and a Wild loss in regulation puts them in. Two points and a Wild loss books their ticket for the postseason. A win and regulation losses by both Minnesota and Detroit puts Columbus in seventh place. A loss in regulation ends their season.
If all three teams end the night with 55 points, Detroit and Minnesota go to the playoffs based on having more ROWs than Columbus. Regardless, all eyes are on the West tonight.
May 23, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
They’ll play alongside Patrick Sharp.
May 23, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
He thought the commissioner was misquoted.
May 23, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A formal announcement could come as early as next week.
May 23, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT
He’ll serve as an assistant to GM Don Maloney.
May 23, 2015, 9:43 AM EDT
He would be eligible for this year’s draft, if he doesn’t come to terms by June 1.
May 23, 2015, 12:26 AM EDT
But will it last?
May 22, 2015, 11:42 PM EDT
Kucherov, Paquette, and Glass all receive misconduct penalties.
May 22, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
The score was one-sided, but this game could have gone the other way if not for the Rangers’ netminder.
May 22, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
Leon Draisaitl’s late goal can’t turn the tide.
May 22, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Keith Yandle got his first marker of the playoffs.
May 22, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
Will we see more goals like that from him before the playoffs are over?
May 22, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
All three of their teams are still in the running for the Stanley Cup.
May 22, 2015, 7:35 PM EDT
San Jose has been linked to several high profile coaches.
May 22, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT
He was credited with turning around the Red Wings’ power play.
May 22, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT
Will New York be able to contain Tampa Bay this time around?
May 22, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
“No one wants to back up. Everyone wants to play.”
May 22, 2015, 4:34 PM EDT
Not only did the Ducks block 27 shots last night, they clogged up the neutral zone too.
May 22, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
Can’t imagine Teuvo Teravainen was, either.
May 22, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT
Canucks GM witnessed the goalie get a shutout in the AHL playoffs.
May 22, 2015, 1:41 PM EDT
Coach Q: “He’ll need a few days out here. We’ll get an evaluation and go from there.”
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 22
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 48
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)