Apr 27, 2013, 9:21 AM EST
The final two playoff spots in the Western Conference will be decided one way or another tonight. Columbus, Detroit, and Minnesota are vying to book a spot in the postseason and dates with either Anaheim or Chicago.
All three teams play tonight and that means we’ve got scenarios for how each can make the playoffs. If you’re a Columbus fan hoping to see them make the playoffs, you’re going to need a little help. Here’s how things play out:
Detroit: The Red Wings can clinch their 22nd straight playoff appearance by earning a single point tonight against Dallas. The Wings have 54 points and it’s going to take at least one point to clinch a spot for them. If they beat Dallas in any way they’ll lock down the seventh seed and draw Anaheim in the playoffs.
Minnesota: The Wild could’ve made tonight a walk in the park if they’d beaten Edmonton last night. Instead, they got their heads beat in 6-1 and now have to do it all again versus Colorado tonight. Minnesota locks down a playoff spot with a victory of any kind over the Avs. A win and a Detroit loss in regulation puts the Wild in seventh. A regulation loss makes them root hard for Nashville to win in regulation over Columbus.
Columbus: The Jackets are going to be rooting hard for the Stars and Avalanche tonight no matter what. Columbus needs points one way or another over the Predators tonight. A single point and a Wild loss in regulation puts them in. Two points and a Wild loss books their ticket for the postseason. A win and regulation losses by both Minnesota and Detroit puts Columbus in seventh place. A loss in regulation ends their season.
If all three teams end the night with 55 points, Detroit and Minnesota go to the playoffs based on having more ROWs than Columbus. Regardless, all eyes are on the West tonight.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:11 AM EST
The check didn’t result in a penalty.
Dec 8, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
Plus the Olympics, legal matters and more.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:58 PM EST
More bad injury breaks for Boston.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:39 PM EST
“It’s getting old,” Brad Richards said.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:10 PM EST
Todd McLellan wasn’t happy on Sunday.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:53 PM EST
Good news/bad news night for Chicago.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
Is this a faux pas?
Dec 8, 2013, 8:16 PM EST
Dec 8, 2013, 7:24 PM EST
Punishment for Varlamov’s last start or reward for Jiggy’s win?
Dec 8, 2013, 7:13 PM EST
It resulted in a broken ankle.
Dec 8, 2013, 7:01 PM EST
He expects to bring “tons of energy.”
Dec 8, 2013, 6:50 PM EST
Claude Julien believes Brendan Shanahan faces a few tough calls.
Dec 8, 2013, 6:25 PM EST
Ryan Spooner and Matt Fraser are emergency recalls.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Dec 8, 2013, 5:32 PM EST
No back-to-back duty for Braden Holtby.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:16 PM EST
The team is unsure if he has a concussion.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
He’s not even sure if he’s retiring, but even if he is, he doesn’t want the distraction.
Dec 8, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Los Angeles has been great during his recovery process.
Dec 8, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
Mason might not get that much, but he’s certainly in line for a big raise.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:46 PM EST
His Boston Bruins will play there on Tuesday.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)