Apr 27, 2013, 9:21 AM EDT
The final two playoff spots in the Western Conference will be decided one way or another tonight. Columbus, Detroit, and Minnesota are vying to book a spot in the postseason and dates with either Anaheim or Chicago.
All three teams play tonight and that means we’ve got scenarios for how each can make the playoffs. If you’re a Columbus fan hoping to see them make the playoffs, you’re going to need a little help. Here’s how things play out:
Detroit: The Red Wings can clinch their 22nd straight playoff appearance by earning a single point tonight against Dallas. The Wings have 54 points and it’s going to take at least one point to clinch a spot for them. If they beat Dallas in any way they’ll lock down the seventh seed and draw Anaheim in the playoffs.
Minnesota: The Wild could’ve made tonight a walk in the park if they’d beaten Edmonton last night. Instead, they got their heads beat in 6-1 and now have to do it all again versus Colorado tonight. Minnesota locks down a playoff spot with a victory of any kind over the Avs. A win and a Detroit loss in regulation puts the Wild in seventh. A regulation loss makes them root hard for Nashville to win in regulation over Columbus.
Columbus: The Jackets are going to be rooting hard for the Stars and Avalanche tonight no matter what. Columbus needs points one way or another over the Predators tonight. A single point and a Wild loss in regulation puts them in. Two points and a Wild loss books their ticket for the postseason. A win and regulation losses by both Minnesota and Detroit puts Columbus in seventh place. A loss in regulation ends their season.
If all three teams end the night with 55 points, Detroit and Minnesota go to the playoffs based on having more ROWs than Columbus. Regardless, all eyes are on the West tonight.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT
Remarkable … and risky?
Apr 20, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
Kings hope to avoid two straight years of 0-2 first-round deficits.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Tampa Bay’s captain managed to return later in the game.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Classy gesture after 16 seasons with the Predators.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:32 PM EDT
Not exactly an ideal start for Anders Lindback.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
He stopped 31 out of 33 in Sunday’s win vs. the Rangers.
Apr 20, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Can the Bolts get back in this series?
Apr 20, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
Milan Lucic scored a goal a game after that spearing incident.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
They are playing on opposite sides in the Detroit-Boston series.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
They’re down 2-0 to Montreal going into Game 3 tonight.
Apr 20, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
The series is tied at 1-1.
Apr 20, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Chicago will have to find a way to get back into this series without one of its top defenseman.
Apr 20, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
It’s the second part of NBC’s doubleheader.
Apr 20, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
He stopped 30 shots on Saturday.
Apr 20, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
Pittsburgh dropped Game 2 against Columbus.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:23 PM EDT
The Bruins are one of the most effective teams in the league with the man advantage.
Apr 20, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT
He was pulled late in Friday’s game.
Apr 20, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
The contest will start at 12:00 p.m. ET.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
He has seven points in his first two playoff games.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
With a two-goal lead, Pittsburgh had four forwards on during a power play, which proved to be the turning point of this game.
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head 24
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 2
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 32
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 84
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (84)