Apr 27, 2013, 6:59 PM EDT
Rick Nash entered this season amid plenty of hype. He went from a team that wasn’t able to accomplish much of anything during his tenure to a passionate hockey market fresh off of a run to the Eastern Conference finals.
The Rangers have endured an up-and-down campaign and will enter the playoffs with no better than the sixth seed. However, the 28-year-old superstar didn’t collapse under the pressure or let his team’s rough stretches keep him down.
He consistently produced as advertised and capped the regular season with two goals against the New Jersey Devils, which you can watch below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos! This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The Rangers will be underdogs going into their first-round series, but they certainly have the pieces to pull off an upset. Nash is one of the bigger wild cards though. While his talent is unquestioned, he has almost no playoff experience.
During his tenure with the Columbus Blue Jackets, the team made the postseason once, and on that occasion they were swept by the 2008-09 Detroit Red Wings.
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury 5
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 25
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)