Apr 27, 2013, 3:58 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres’ season is over, so now the question is: What will their 2013-14 squad look like?
There’s no shortage of speculation about a potential Ryan Miller trade. 29-year-old forward Thomas Vanek might be gone too. In fact, it sounds like he’d prefer to leave if the Sabres plan on doing a full rebuild.
“Let’s be honest,” Vanek told the Buffalo News. “I’m not stupid. I know I have a year left and they can probably deal me for prospects, young guys, whatever else is out there. Yeah, I’ve thought about it. If it looks like it’s a long rebuild, then it probably makes sense for both parties to move on.”
That also implies that Vanek is willing to stick with the Sabres if they intend to prioritize making the playoffs next season over building through the draft.
“I don’t know what the plan is,” Vanek said. “If they’re turning it over to the younger guys, it’s a turnover. Or are they going to build around us again? It’s all speculation at this point because you guys don’t know and I don’t know what’s going to happen.”
This is the second straight season that Buffalo has failed to make the postseason. The franchise acquired a combination of draft picks and prospects in separate trades for Jason Pominville, Robyn Regehr, and Jordan Leopold in the days leading up to the trade deadline.
Vanek led the Sabres with 20 goals and 41 points in 38 games this season. He comes with a $7,142,857 annual cap hit.
Oct 20, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
“I’ve played three games and it hasn’t gone even close to the way it needs to be.”
Oct 20, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
Leafs add some organizational depth.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Colorado, getting some good news in goal.
Oct 20, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
Caps are off on a road trip to Western Canada.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Coach Cooper cites the long trip to Edmonton from Syracuse as reason to keep the rookie out against the Oilers.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
A fairly well-deserved honor.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
News and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 20, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Matt Bartkowski expected to step in tomorrow versus San Jose.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Already has seven points in seven games this season.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Oct 20, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Terrible luck for the 22-year-old rookie d-man.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
Club addressed the domestic assault charges in a brief statement Monday.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Johan Franzen has been placed on IR.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
Lots of questions being asked in Winnipeg.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
Court date scheduled for Oct. 22.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:24 PM EDT
Hard lines, T.J. Brodie.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
Tampa Bay’s blue line is one of the deepest in the NHL.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
Darcy Kuemper has been excellent for the Wild.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
Played just over 14 minutes in a loss to Anaheim on Sunday.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT
Boston hosts San Jose tomorrow.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 27
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)