Apr 27, 2013, 9:33 PM EDT
Detroit might not be viewed as a serious threat to win the Stanley Cup, but the team in transition has extended its postseason appearance streak to a remarkable 22 consecutive seasons. That’s the fifth longest stretch in NHL history.
The Red Wings were consistently mediocre in their first season without retired team captain Nicklas Lidstrom. However, with their backs against the wall, they fought back with four straight victories, including tonight’s 3-0 victory over Dallas.
Henrik Zetterberg stepped up with two goals and an assist tonight, giving him a remarkable 10 points over the winning streak.
The seventh seed Detroit Red Wings will face the Anaheim Ducks. These two teams have a lengthy playoff history. Since the 2004–05 lockout, Detroit has lost to Anaheim in six games in 2007 and defeated them in seven games in 2009. This season they lost against Anaheim in February, only to sweep a two-game series against them in late March.
The pressure will be on the Ducks going after their remarkable season, but Detroit, with its wealth of postseason experience, could make things interesting.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)