Apr 27, 2013, 9:33 PM EDT
Detroit might not be viewed as a serious threat to win the Stanley Cup, but the team in transition has extended its postseason appearance streak to a remarkable 22 consecutive seasons. That’s the fifth longest stretch in NHL history.
The Red Wings were consistently mediocre in their first season without retired team captain Nicklas Lidstrom. However, with their backs against the wall, they fought back with four straight victories, including tonight’s 3-0 victory over Dallas.
Henrik Zetterberg stepped up with two goals and an assist tonight, giving him a remarkable 10 points over the winning streak.
The seventh seed Detroit Red Wings will face the Anaheim Ducks. These two teams have a lengthy playoff history. Since the 2004–05 lockout, Detroit has lost to Anaheim in six games in 2007 and defeated them in seven games in 2009. This season they lost against Anaheim in February, only to sweep a two-game series against them in late March.
The pressure will be on the Ducks going after their remarkable season, but Detroit, with its wealth of postseason experience, could make things interesting.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)