Apr 27, 2013, 9:33 PM EST
Detroit might not be viewed as a serious threat to win the Stanley Cup, but the team in transition has extended its postseason appearance streak to a remarkable 22 consecutive seasons. That’s the fifth longest stretch in NHL history.
The Red Wings were consistently mediocre in their first season without retired team captain Nicklas Lidstrom. However, with their backs against the wall, they fought back with four straight victories, including tonight’s 3-0 victory over Dallas.
Henrik Zetterberg stepped up with two goals and an assist tonight, giving him a remarkable 10 points over the winning streak.
The seventh seed Detroit Red Wings will face the Anaheim Ducks. These two teams have a lengthy playoff history. Since the 2004–05 lockout, Detroit has lost to Anaheim in six games in 2007 and defeated them in seven games in 2009. This season they lost against Anaheim in February, only to sweep a two-game series against them in late March.
The pressure will be on the Ducks going after their remarkable season, but Detroit, with its wealth of postseason experience, could make things interesting.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)