Apr 27, 2013, 9:53 PM EDT
Both the Boston Bruins and Ottawa Senators will have something to play for in Sunday’s postponed game, which is the last contest of the NHL’s 2013 regular season.
Saturday’s results made it certain that tomorrow’s game will matter. The Boston Bruins lost to the Washington Capitals 3-2 in OT while the Montreal Canadiens beat the Toronto Maple Leafs 4-1.
That victory gives the Habs a temporary lead for the Northeast Division title. They now have 63 standings points and hold the regulation/OT win tiebreaker.
With that, the Bruins’ goal is clear: Boston needs any kind of win against Ottawa to take the division title (and the second seed in the East). The Northeast Division runner-up will have home ice advantage against the Maple Leafs, who clinched the fifth seed.
Ottawa still has something on the line. The Senators are currently in eighth place in the East but only trail the seventh-ranked New York Islanders by one standings point.
Depending upon how things shake out, today’s Montreal-Toronto game and tomorrow’s Ottawa-Boston scuffle could very well serve as a pair of playoff previews. Plenty can change, however.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 16
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)