Apr 27, 2013, 9:53 PM EST
Both the Boston Bruins and Ottawa Senators will have something to play for in Sunday’s postponed game, which is the last contest of the NHL’s 2013 regular season.
Saturday’s results made it certain that tomorrow’s game will matter. The Boston Bruins lost to the Washington Capitals 3-2 in OT while the Montreal Canadiens beat the Toronto Maple Leafs 4-1.
That victory gives the Habs a temporary lead for the Northeast Division title. They now have 63 standings points and hold the regulation/OT win tiebreaker.
With that, the Bruins’ goal is clear: Boston needs any kind of win against Ottawa to take the division title (and the second seed in the East). The Northeast Division runner-up will have home ice advantage against the Maple Leafs, who clinched the fifth seed.
Ottawa still has something on the line. The Senators are currently in eighth place in the East but only trail the seventh-ranked New York Islanders by one standings point.
Depending upon how things shake out, today’s Montreal-Toronto game and tomorrow’s Ottawa-Boston scuffle could very well serve as a pair of playoff previews. Plenty can change, however.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)